Buying advice: 2.0 TDI?

Reaction score
My dad's looking at a 2.0TDI FWD auto. Saloon or Avant. Not too bothered about SE / S-line, so probably SE.

Any advice on what to look out for?

He's looking at <30k miles, <3yrs old, has £10k-£15k, ideally around £12k, so according to Parkers that'll get a 2-3yr old, 20-30k mile version.

Are the 2.0TDI's all multitronic rather than a regular auto-Tiptronic? (I know they do a Tiptronic simulation mode, but I was concerned about expected lifespan of the gearbox)

What kit is 100% standard and what should I actually be impressed with?

I had a look at HonestJohn and it seems that by 2006, the 2.0TDI had all sorts included as standard (mono CD SatNav,6xCD, multi-function steering wheel?? SDS-High?? courtesy lights??).

Last edited:
Hey there lostbok, re your comments on the A6 2.0 Tdi.
I have an 07 with around 64k on the clock at present and love the car to bits. I have had more than a few issues with it though to be fair, although I like to keep my car in the best condition possible and am very picky.
Problems with the rear light clusters misting up ( check that out )
The chrome door trims turn milky ( not chrome so cannot be polished up )
Problems with cold start / non start issues, seems to relate to possible hairline cracks in the clinder head allowing water ingress! I've had 2 replaced to date by being extremely pushy. Seriously underpowered in first gear and unless you really keep the revs up you will stall it. I've had mine remapped from 140 to 176 which helps a little.
Its still a good car even having said that and a great cruiser returning good mpg.....I've had 51.2 mpg and 730 miles out of a tank.
Good equipment levels as std though...The MMI if you can get the sat nav / 6cd player / phone kit is awesome and always gets comments.

After many many chats with techs and the problems I've encountered I'd suggest looking at the 2.7 or 3.0tdi....you'll get quattro as well as a bonus.
If I had my chance again I know I would.

Please believe me when I say I'm not trying to be negative, just honest and realistic....check out some of my posts here and also on Audi Uk forum for more indepth info.

Good luck with whatever choice you make

Jim

Thanks Jim: I'll pass that info on. It'll probably end up being my dad's main commuter, so he's obsessed with getting a smallish TDI... I'll check what there is in the way of 2.7TDI out there, but if the power-wight is a real issue, then I think he's more likely to go for a Jetta or something along those lines as there's 18month-old 10k mile 2.0TDI's for that kind of money...

I think the narrow power-band issue is covered up with the Multitronic gearbox to some extent as it has lots and lots of virtual gears and then it just picks where you ought to be in therev range as to wether it thinks you're after accelleration or just cruising...

If you can find one (regardless of engine size) with the DVD (colour display + map) sat nav (also known as MMI High) rather than the CD version then that is worth going for, all other things being equal. I have driven with both and the on the CD version you have no visual check as to the route it is taking you simply have to place total faith in the system which is not infallible. Also the DVD version is more likely to have TMC capability activated.