Trip Computer Failure/Short-Circuit

ColinRyan

Reaction score
Website
n
Hi,

I have a problem with the trip computer on my 2002 allroad.

If I turn on the ignition I can see the current/trip MPG/Distance/Remainig Fuel menus toggling through with the up/down buttons on the steering column stalk.

However, if I hit the reset button on the stalk the centre consol display goes blank (off). The gear shift display remains but the rest of the LCD screen is blank (as though the trip computer is short circuiting or blowing a fuse when I hit the reset button).

It remains blank (even if I turn off/on ignition) until I pull the fuse and replace it. The fuse is not blown if I inspect it - but I have to remove it and replace it and turn the ignition on again before the display works again.

When the display comes back on it has not been reset - the previous values are all in place. Every time I hit the reset button this cycle is consistent.

Can anyone tell me where the wiring/control units for the trip computer is? I recently had the flooded passenger footwell problem and am in the process of drying it out. All other electrics are fine (comfort module is ok so far ...).

All help appreciated,

C.

Hi,

That is completely normal, the reset button when hit once will turn the display off, I think this is so that it does not distract you (at night for example) if you press it once again the screen will return.

If you hold the reset down it will reset which ever function you are on at the time.

Hope that helps.