A6 3.0 or 2.7 Please help

M3ERR

Reaction score
Hi all,
Having come from the dark side (BMW Land) I now have seen the light and I'm in the market for an A6 Avant S-line or Le mans edition. Not sure which engine to go for. Having not driven an A6 yet, can you guy's give me some advice on the matter and advise which one would be the better buy. Are there any problems with either engines (like BMW's 5 series swirl flap issue:banghead:) Are there any problems with the A6 in general?

Do you have any good advice on what to look for when buying a second hand 2006/7 A6 avant.

With you're help, I hope to be a fully fledged member of the Audi community soon.

Many thanks for you're help.

Also....is the Bose sound system any good compared with the standard set up?

Cheers

Can't give you much info on problems as I've only had mine since Feb. I have a 2006 2.7 tdi S-Line Avant (Quattro + Tip) and love it all apart from the fuel consumption.... 28 mpg average!

BMW seem to be able to produce powerful engines yet economical. Audi just can't compete on that front.

I have a 2.7tdi S Line Quattro tip saloon. Its a great car and more than enough power for what I want to use it for (normally getting somewhere briskly but comfortably). Its only had town driving for the last 3 months and is averaging 34mpg. When my driving was more mixed, the figure was high 30s but my right foot may have reduced what can be achieved in more sensible use. It will cruise at 80mph and return mid to high 40s, depending on load.

My parking sensors have gone intermittent but other than that its trouble free.

I looked at 3.0s but got much more car in a 2.7. I have 19s, Bose, MMI high with sat nav, full leather, dual climate... pretty much everything. Recommended.

Last edited:
I have a 2.7tdi S Line Quattro tip saloon. Its a great car and more than enough power for what I want to use it for (normally getting somewhere briskly but comfortably). Its only had town driving for the last 3 months and is averaging 34mpg. When my driving was more mixed, the figure was high 30s but my right foot may have reduced what can be achieved in more sensible use. It will cruise at 80mph and return mid to high 40s, depending on load.

My parking sensors have gone intermittent but other than that its trouble free.

I looked at 3.0s but got much more car in a 2.7. I have 19s, Bose, MMI high with sat nav, full leather, dual climate... pretty much everything. Recommended.

I can only dream of those MPG figures...!! Mine is an Avant, but surely it wouldn't make that much difference?

My overall MPG since i've owned it on Comp 2 shows 28.8 mpg. :wtf:

I have a 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Line Avant. It is brilliant and offers plenty of grunt. You don't buy these cars for economy, however on longer motorway runs driving without aggression, it will return 40 mpg. I think you need to test drive these cars M3ERR.

Just one point though...S-Line looks good, a little lower, nice alloys and other trim, but it also rides firmly. Check this out too as you may find the standard car's suspension a better compromise.

If you want Quattro and manual gearbox then the only option is to go with the 3.0. The 2.7 with Quattro was only available with the 6-Speed Tiptronic box. Non-Quattro 2.7's could be had with manual gearbox or the 7-Speed Multitronic box and 3.0 Quattro can have the 6-Speed Tiptronic box