Rattling relay and now no fuel?

dn.chapman

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2000 W reg 2.5 diesel A6 which has suddenly decided to not start today. I filled up with Shell diesel, drove home 3 miles and this morning the car won't start.

The AA chap came and whilst spraying his magic stuff up the air intake the engine started but as soon as he stopped spraying the engine stopped. His diagnosis is that the the fuel pump is faulty but there had been no previous signs of any sort of impending failure. The car always started, ran well and I had just driven along the M40 for 20 miles before filling up and going home.

The only other symptom that may or may not be connected is a rattling relay under the dash on the drivers side. It started about 2 months ago and my Audi service centre couldn't (be bothered) to find it, nor my local Mr Fixit.

Any one got any ideas? Could the relay be the fault thus stopping the pump from working?

Many thanks.

HI

There is a fuel pump relay which is housed behind the lower trim under the steering column. I beleive it is marked with the number 603. I have a 2001 2.5tdi quattro and there are 2 relays marked with this number. You may be able to swap them over to test. Do you know how to remove this trim??

Hi and thanks for the guidance.

Mine only has one relay marked 603 and according to Audi Slough, that wasn't the one! I bought a replacement relay which is numbered 463 and replaces relay number 373, of which there are two!

Either way, that wasn't the problem so its off to the garage with it on Monday.

Its a shame, this is my 6th A6 and it has been the most unreliable one I have ever had. Never mind, it will have to go now.

Thnaks for your help.