My brother is looking at buying a 2001 A6

I

imported_BShow

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. after looking around a bit, this site seems pretty cool!

Anyway, my little brother is looking at a 2001 A6 2.7TT with the auto tranny. I really dont know much about Audi in general. I like the looks of the cars, From what little I've seen, they perform fairly well.

Is there anything that I should know...or that my brother should know about the 2001 A6? what is your opinion of the car? Personally, I told him to look for one that has the 6 spd, or find an S4. But admittedly, I just want him to get something with a manual tranny and that performs well. thanks for your input.

I've got a 2000 2.7T Quattro with Tiptronic! I admit to being slightly put off by the semi-auto box myself when I bought it, but I've really grown to love it! The car is fantastic on long runs and supprisingly agile through the lanes (although not quite as good as my old S3). You get a lot of car for your money and as long as you don't expect it to be cheap to run there shouldn't be too many nasty suprises! Having said that, I wouldn't mind an S4 myself!

What is expensive about running the a6? Just general maintenance? or are there things that are known to go wrong?

I can't comment on it's reliability as I've not had it long enough yet (although reputation is good), but insurance is high (especially with non-standard alloys) and it really likes a drink (just like my missus). The first (and only) service I've had done was I guess reasonable for a mid size exec. saloon (compared to my old 535), but nothing in this league is gonna be cheap.

Why doesn't your brother go for an S4 avant... much nicer and more manuvrable than the A6! Oh yeah, and more powerful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G.