My 2002 AR was stolen from in front of my house recently. I'd appreciate your opinion on the facts:
- We have two key fobs which were not taken during the robbery
- No alarm went off
- I bought the car from a garage 7 months ago
- I found the car 10 days later parked up on a residential road
- The car was locked but the inside has been rummaged through
- No visible sign of doors being bent/jimmied
- No major body damage to car (execpt for rub below)
- A policeman friend (in car crime unit) has seen a rise in the incidence of stealing 8/10 year old cars for parts/'export', often without keys - they are either towed or 'lifted' - Not easy with a quattro automatic.
- Whoever did it cut the break lines to the ABS unit before they left it
- I think it was driven as there is a rub on the driver side rear wheel arch
- I have looked into previous requests for keys but cannot find any via VW/AUdi Ireland - that said their history/tracking record is patchy once you go back a bit - in fact they were quite unhelpful
What do folks think:
- How technically possible is to get access ot the car without a key
- How can people get keys without going through main dealer
- Why steal it drive it and then just park it up neatly again (having ripped out my baby seat and hands free kit but left CDs sunglasses etc in place)
- Have you heard off Allroads being lifted/towed by theifs?
All opinions appreciated ...