2.5TDI 1998 sudden smoke

Equinoxstudios

Reaction score
Greetings from a newbie (from that 'other' Audi forum).

Background: 1998 A6 Avant 2.5TDI, engine code AFB, 190K miles. Rechipped at ChippedUK Bromsgrove at 182K. Recon turbo fitted before I got the car at 170K. Apparently well looked after. I've had the car six months. Deep in love.

Last month developed a whine in sympathy with engine rpm. 24hrs later billowed white smoke out the back with sudden drop in power. Engine runs, oil level low, combustion products chuffing out of oil filler cap.

Two mechanics I've shown it to make the "intake of breath" sound and condemn the engine. I want to test compression on all cylinders before such a conclusion as I might suspect the oil seals in the turbo.

Am I wasting my time or is there still a chance of life after death? What are the tell-tale signs that differentiate between a straight turbo fail and an engine refurb because the cost between the two is make or break?

If it is worst case scenario, can anyone heads up an engine refurbisher that is still in business within 100 miles of Basingstoke and that will stay in business long enough to honour any warranty on the work done??? I would refurb my existing engine rather than get an unknown from somewhere else.

I look forward to some constructive replies.
Best Regards,
Ivor Davies
Owner of the world's most expensive CD player, located in front of my house. Sigh.

Last edited:
I would put me money on the turbo ! If the engine starts well, burns oil and the smoke is blue/white then the engine is still in good nick. I would check the engine breather as that clogs on it and overpresurise the crankcase thus blowing the seals on the turbo. I am allways refiting a new improved filter from the later AKE engine. I would not drive it like that for too long as if the seals let go the engine will rev to destruction because it will run on its own oil thus bending conrods or trowing the rods trough the block ! Just find a replacement turbo and fit it on the engine, please note that it will smoke for a while after fitting the new turbo as the oil burns away from the exhaust ! I have a spare turbocharger if you interested, can even fit it for you if you bring the car to N. London...or i could came to you if within reasonable driving distance for diesel money ! Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

Thanks adamss24 for your reply and opinion. As you well point out, the engine did try to run on its own oil but I turned off the ignition as soon as the revs soared and the world behind me dissappeared in white clouds. The only driving that we've done since then is on and off two transporters and she starts right on the key. One mechanic said that it "Sounds lovely, shame about the smoke!".

I reckon fitting the turbo is a doddle provided you're clean about it and replace that o-ring. I would use the opportunity to replace the breather but the new style seperator looks like it involves an annoying bunch of stuff to take off before you can remove it. I had the EGR valve renewed two months ago so those bolts will be easy to move ;-)

I've spent so much on the car after getting it that I'm committed to keeping her on the road. The increased boost pressure after remap soon threw up fault codes that eventually led to replacing the inlet and outlet intercooler hoses (they'd started to delaminate with tiny pinholes and wouldn't hold the higher pressure) but not before replacing EGR, MAP and N75!!!:lmfao:

Gutted that she was running like a dream. Recon fitted 20K ago was from Essex Turbo and is just out of warranty so I kind of wanted to suspect it less than other things. Where did your spare come from? Do you reckon your one would live to 2bar? If so, I'm sending a limo round for you right now.

PM me if you have a proposal. Everyone else reading this can chuck their oar in aswell.

Last edited:
Thanks adamss24 for your reply and opinion. As you well point out, the engine did try to run on its own oil but I turned off the ignition as soon as the revs soared and the world behind me dissappeared in white clouds. The only driving that we've done since then is on and off two transporters and she starts right on the key. One mechanic said that it "Sounds lovely, shame about the smoke!".

I reckon fitting the turbo is a doddle provided you're clean about it and replace that o-ring. I would use the opportunity to replace the breather but the new style seperator looks like it involves an annoying bunch of stuff to take off before you can remove it. I had the EGR valve renewed two months ago so those bolts will be easy to move ;-)

I've spent so much on the car after getting it that I'm committed to keeping her on the road. The increased boost pressure after remap soon threw up fault codes that eventually led to replacing the inlet and outlet intercooler hoses (they'd started to delaminate with tiny pinholes and wouldn't hold the higher pressure) but not before replacing EGR, MAP and N75!!!:lmfao:

Gutted that she was running like a dream. Recon fitted 20K ago was from Essex Turbo and is just out of warranty so I kind of wanted to suspect it less than other things. Where did your spare come from? Do you reckon your one would live to 2bar? If so, I'm sending a limo round for you right now.

PM me if you have a proposal. Everyone else reading this can chuck their oar in aswell.
The engine runaway wont stop if you turn the ignition off ONLY if you stall the engine in high gear while pressing the brakes ! Also be carefull as there is some oil left at the bottomm of the intercoolers and that will get sucked in the intake and will bend the rods. No, i dont think that any 2nd hand turbo will stand a 2 bar abuse for too long ! Sorry mate...Mine came off me car as i fitted an AKE one, no smoke or excesive play in it.

The engine runaway wont stop if you turn the ignition off ONLY if you stall the engine in high gear while pressing the brakes ! Also be carefull as there is some oil left at the bottomm of the intercoolers and that will get sucked in the intake and will bend the rods. No, i dont think that any 2nd hand turbo will stand a 2 bar abuse for too long ! Sorry mate...Mine came off me car as i fitted an AKE one, no smoke or excesive play in it.

I only mention 2 bar as I seem to remember looking at the 'measuring blocks' with VAGCOM when diagnosing a low manifold pressure fault code. I remember looking at the mB actual and the mB target and the target figure was near 1.9