1.9 Turbo Diesel - Things to go wrong.

danf1234

Reaction score
Does the Turbo have a life span, or is it pretty robust. The reason I ask is that I am coming up to 75,000 miles and this seems to be a threshold for a lot of things to go wrong with the car.

I am getting the Cam belt kit, Water pump, aux belt, thermostat and Air con belt changed next week.

Is there anything else to watch out for. I keeping reading that the turbo's are prone to failure?

I'm not sure which turbo you have, but the garrett ones are good, mines on 175k and still fine.

The KKK ones are the ones that aren't as good, but with diesels when the turbo goes you will know about it! the engine is heavily reliant on it for power, without it they are very slow!

I think it's the other way round, the KKK aree more reliable but much dearer than the cheappo Garrett ones. Also when the turbo lets go it takes the engine with it ! Thats what its called a runaway engine. In some cases the seals on the exhaust side let go and it will smoke like orient express but, keep running it like that and the inlet seals will let go as well and the engine will run on its own oil !