questions, questions...

Magman

Reaction score
Sorry, another A6 Avant question. Want the 2.5 but can't make my mind up between the quattro/non quattro and manual/auto options. Need to decide this to try and cut down on the time spent searching for the right car!

So, is the quattro really so much more grippy? The lower ride height, surely that can be better achieved by fitting lowering springs with Konis? Also, I guess I'll be sacrificing mpg – but how much?

I've never been keen on autos, and the big A6 diesel could labour a bit I guess. Manuals are rare, though. And the tiptronic function – does that make up for the lack of manual?

Also the colour coding to the sills and lower sections of the bumpers front and rear? Some cars have the colour coding, others are just black plastic. If I found the right car, but without the colour coding – would it be an straightforward job to get all the black panels painted? Sounds tricky to me.

Can you get leather interiors easily enough if you find a really nice car but with cloth?

Finally, Atlas Grey. Now, has that got a hint of gold in it?

I guess what I am after is a burgundy metallic 2.5 quattro with beige leather!!!!

Any advice appreciated!:shrug:

personaly i would go for quattro i have owned 3 quattros an a4 and 2 a6's at the moment i have got a 2.8 quattro a6 avant yes they are a bit heavier on fuel mainly due to the extra weight of the quattro drive system and the fact you are powering 4 wheels but beleive me its worth every penny they are just so possitive on the road at all speeds and realy do come in to there own when the weather turns nasty all mine have been manual i would not entertain an auto thats just a personal thing nothing wrong with autos as far as i know . the a4 was a 2.5 deisel and at first i had to get used to the slow pick up when taking up drive the turbo did not kick in until about 1300 rpm then it flew you just need to get used to that at roundabouts and junctions the 2.5 is not the most economical engine i used to average 36 to 38 mpg of mixed driving also the diesel pumps can be tempermental and cost a small fortune to replace or repair . the best combination is the 1.9tdi quattro these are pritty rare but seek and ye shall find then you have the best of both worlds economy and handling and a vertually bullet proof engine if regularly serviced when i come to sell my car i will definately be replacing it with one of these hope this helps

Thanks for that. I'd ruled out the 1.9 simply because I'd read that it was underpowered in the A6. However, I've driven the 130bhp Passat and that had plenty of punch. And, I guess, it's more economical. I am having trouble finding a quattro version for sale, though, so I guess I could go for the Sport with a manual box!

i used to own an a4 avant 1.9tdi the old b5 shape on an x 2001 it had the engine chipped to 157 bhp that thing was great on fuel and very nippy that is what i would do with the 1.9tdi quattro

In relation to the question regarding colour, my A6 is atlas grey - check out my member garage pics.

I don't think there's any hint of gold in it, but it does look very nice in the sunshine after a wash!

I have the 1.9tdi multitronic (auto). It's the 130 bhp and can shift when you need it to (within reason, not over a 1/4 mile!) especially if you use the sport mode. My mpg hovers around the 40 mark under normal driving (about 600 miles to a tank)

Mine is factory lowered, so it hunkers down, although the tail end can be a bit squiffy in the wet. I put two brand new tyres on the rear just after I bought her though...

The multitronic is a potential can of worms - if you're unlucky (which I hope I'm not) it can fail at significant cost to repair. I'm just taking each day as it comes!

Hope this helps!

A.

Yes, I think I've narrowed my search criteria down to a 1.9TDi 130 with manual box. Very hard to find a quattro, so may have to forego that particular pleasure. There's a couple floating about, but can anyone tell me now:

1) the cost of the 80k cambelt change
2) are all the manuals 6sp?
3) is it relatively straightforward to swap a cloth for leather interior if I found a nice cloth car at the right money?

Thanks

you are looking at about £350 to £400 at a good independant for the timing belt kit to be fitted also have the water pump done at the same time make sure it as the metal impeller . yes all the b6 shape manuals are 6 speed as regards the interior as long as you get the right one ie dont try and put a saloon in an avant yes they are very easy to fit . i dont know your budget but auto trader and ebay have got a few 1.9tdi quattros on at the moment also try piston heads classified from one enthusiast to another i would seriously hold out for the quattro its worth the wait and i guarantee you will not regret it patience is a vertue especialy when looking for the right car dont forget it is going to be with you for a good few years so get the one you want even if you have to wait for it

Thanks, I looked on those sites and couldn't see any quattro 1.9s?

So you think the 1.9 is the right choice over the 2.5? As long as it's a manual?

Last edited:
absolutely less insurance considerably more mpg cheaper maintanance and if you want more power a reputable tuner can sort that and give you more power than the 2.5 comes standard without hurting the mpg the 2.5 is a no brainer in my humble oppinion i will have a look where i seen the quattros and post you the sites

as it got to be an a6 i have found 3 a4 1.9tdi quattro sport avants on ebay and 33 a4 quattros on autotrader i told you they was rare but check out the a4 1.9 tdi quattro sports the majority come with leather and alcanterra sport suspension and some have the rear hatch spoiler my nephew as got one in black and its a very very nice car with plenty of room

Hi, does anyone know the difference in the final drive ratios on the manual box between the five and six-speed boxes?