A6 Allroad viscous fan always on

Mazi

Reaction score
My A6 Allroad 2.5tdi has the viscous fan running all the time causing a loud whooshing noise under acceleration.
Is this normal?
If not then what is the cure?

i had this on a 2.8 a6 its basicaly stuck on and being driven at full engine speed all the time the only remedy is replacement when you do replace it remember its a left hand thread

Hi Guys,
I'm wondering if I have the same thing. I've just bought a 2004 Allroad 2.5 Auto and whenever I accelerate I can hear the fan and a whining noise (no it isnt the wife lol) which seems abit excessive.
I don't hear the fan abnormally on idle, but I was wondering if Audio Autos do make a sound similar to this normally?

I've come from a passat TDI which was manual, but sounded alot quieter when I put my foot down...

thanx in advance,
Al.

the way to test a viscous fan is to get yourself a rolled up newspaper start your engine from stone cold carefully put the end of the paper gently onto the outer edge of the blades if its ok it should stop dead with hardly any preasure if its difficult to stop ie shreads the paper you have a bad coupling you cant repair them but they are available from euro car parts and gsf the last one i bought was about 45 quid ish as above they are a left hand thread hope this helps