Changed timming belt.... now hard to start

sherry

Reaction score
Hi.

I changed my timming belt today.

It is the first one i have done.... think i have done it correct..

The problem is that it takes 2 or 3 turns of the key for it to start and when it has started it is fine.

Any ideas please.

Petrol or diesel?

If it's a diesel might the pump timing be out?

Hi.

I put the car in a garage and it took a couple of attempts to start but when it started it ran ok but a little underpower. They done a diagnostics and changed the camshaft sensor. After that the car would not start. They checked the timing belt and said it had jumped a full quarter turn. They took of the cylinder head and i now have bent valves.

Would anyone have any idea what has went on here. Is this possible to drive the car then the belt jump and bend valves.

I drove the car in and now it doesnt start and i a scared of the bill i am going to get... The guy that ownes the garage has been very good over it and said he wont skin me but i still dont know how much its going to cost.

He is realy puzzled as to what has went on.

Any ideas will be great.

:sm4:

Did you line-up the marks for the timing belt ? Did you tighten the belt to the recomended values? If you did it the right way, i might think the muppet that worked on your car-at the garage-messed-up the timing resulting in the engine dammage ! If the camshaft sensor was duff, it would not start at all but a full quarter of turn it would have bent the valves instantly and it would not run at all ! Tipical cowboys...

hi m8.

I had it all lined up and drove the car for 2 days before puting it in garage.

i am going down to see them tomorrow and they are going to go through what has been done to it. they said on phone that something ahs been done to it before i got it.

hope they aint trying to say it aint thier fault.

surely if i drove it in then anything that happens in there is down to them?

Did you line-up the marks for the timing belt ? Did you tighten the belt to the recomended values? If you did it the right way, i might think the muppet that worked on your car-at the garage-messed-up the timing resulting in the engine dammage ! If the camshaft sensor was duff, it would not start at all but a full quarter of turn it would have bent the valves instantly and it would not run at all ! Tipical cowboys...

adam is correct, if the valves were bent there would be no compresion and the valves would most likely foul the pistons and not run atall!
Or lumpy due to one or more cylinders not having compression.

This can be the problem when a garage take on a DIY job where the owner doesn't know the job inside out.
Only through my mistakes do i know my A6 inside out pretty much, and it hasn't been to a garage in years.

But the garages error does look likely at the moment, as if your valves were bent you'd know from the moment you re-started the car.