loud cluncking noise

bigblokey0

Reaction score
i got a loud cluncking noise from the drivers side wheel area ive recently replaced a rear lower arm so i think thats the problem however all nuts are tight nothings loose so could it be a dodgy arm ? it only makes the noise when i go over potholes and speed humps ive taken the car to the garage and theyve said everything looks fine

hi mate are you sure the previous clunking was from the rear lower arm because it now sounds like you may have a problem with the front lower arm . i recently ivestigated a clunk on my a6 and found it to be the ball joints on both front and rear arms at fault the bushes are ok . the way i found the problem was to raise the car up so the tyre was just touching the ground i got a long bar and socket on one of the wheel bolts and tried to move the wheel back and forward get a mate to do this whilst your underneath holding the ball joint ends you can feel movement if there knackered

the rear lower arm i replaced because the ball joint had split and there was grease everywhere all the other joints look fine and as i say i had a garage take a look and they didnt find anything im thinking maybe the rubber used in the rear lower arm is a softer rubber the nylon washer on the rear lower arm move about not to sure if thats normal ?

well took it to another garage today and they cant find anything wrong with it either :s