LPG conversions

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think your are on your own again, Nige (for a while at least!) Sold the beast at the weekend for £19350 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Now that I am holding the folding, I think a trip to Sytners is on the cards, the B3s seems very tempting! 305 of your very finest horsepower sir? Yes please!

[/ QUOTE ]
Good that you got a better price in the end.

Tell me, the person who bought it, did they specifically want an Alpina? did they know what they were after, or was it just a BMW with some funny name on it?

hi there again
talking amongst family about the purchase of an A6 TDI, it was sugested that an LPG conversion might not be a bad idea, a full LPG only not half an half, i'm there must be some out there, does anyone have one, what size gas tank could be fitted in place of the petrol tank, i have heard that doing a full conversion it involves changing all the injectors, rather than a conversion that runs both ways, where an extra injector is added, anyone have a rough idea of the cost of a conversion, will it add to the cars value,
does anyone out there have any theories
any help welcome

i never heard anyone who could do lpg cheaply on a turbo car, because the lpg is squirted out at tank pressure which is pretty low.

it will not add value to the car, when i was looking at lpg mercedes MLs they went for the same price or less as an unmodified car.

running a mix of lpg and diesel is better anyway - you need a tank about 1/4 to 1/6 the size of the diesel one, and the mix runs about 1/4 to 1/6 lpg to diesel. the end result is more mpg and upto 30% more power at the same time. the mileage between fillups will probably increase by 50%.

i dont think diesels will run on just lpg, but they respond very well to a mixture.

the big problem with petril to lpg conversion is the size of the tank - you need at least 10% bigger tank to get the same range, you only save on the cost per L rather than the volume used.

unless you are prepared to lose some boot space for a large tank, or spend a lot more money using a 2 tank setup, it is very difficult to get a reasonable tank installed, particularly on larger more thirsty petrol engines.