a6 losing coolant

JimC64

Reaction score
car01.jpg

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
This may be of interest to some of you......Please check out my thread on another site which goes into some detail on this

a6_losing_coolant

Thanks

Jim

car01.jpg

car booked in for a week on Monday ( 11th April ) to check issues with non start possibly associated with coolant loss.
On a side not I had to top up the coolant just yesterday after I valeted the car including under the bonnet - i noticed coolant was again low:confused::confused:

They intend to keep the car for 4-5 days to see if the non start issue returns and chedck the coolant levels also to see if they drop.......so we'll see where we go from there.

Jim

car01.jpg

UPDATE

Well, as you know from previous posts.....I've been losing coolant for some time now and have started to visit the dealer every time as I expect them to top it up and check for any problems.
I called again on Wednesaday prior to my 800+ mile trip from Glasgow - London and back in one day....lol
I advised them of low coolant levels again but told them I would not be able to call in till friday for them to have a look at..this was agreed.
When i did visit them on Friday morning the coolant was way below the min level again....They had a check and topped it up. I had a word with the mastertech there, a really nice guy and he agreed that it would need to be a replacement cylinder head to see if that would cure the problem.....so update is....the car is booked in for the 13th July for the work to be carried out..
biggrin.gif

I just hope that this cures the problem

Thanks
Jim

HI guys,

Have been reading a thread on the A3 forum with great interest as I now find myself in a similar position with the coolant levels dropping every 3 weeks or so.

Alongside this we had a squeeking in the engine, similar to a fan belt noise. So the car went into Audi this week for servicing, and I asked them to take a look at these problems.

They thought they were both symptoms of a water pump problem, so I let them go in to fix it, but they then found it had already had a new water pump and the squeek was actually a faulty tensioner on the aux belt.

Squeek is now fixed which is nice, but will need to monitor the coolant. No leaks under pressure testing, so they think cylinder head or head gasket. It could go for a year or more they say. My issue is that we have had no other symptoms like some of the A3 forum have had i.e. slow starting or white smoke. Audi haven't considered any other fixes either e.g EGR valves.

Does any one have any thoughts on this one?

Thanks in advance,