A6 sports suspension

ellaguru2u

Reaction score
I have an 04 A6 Avant 2.5 TDI SE. It came with the sports suspension option and 17" wheels. My question is: will 16" wheels fit or will the rubber foul the suspension. I know most folk want to go the other way but I`d like to run quieter 16" rubber.
I`d appreciate opinions

My A6 is lowered on 20" rims, 16's will be no problem, just check your manual, that will tell you the reccommended tyre size, but yo can go up to 225mm wide, but make sure u get the right aspect ratio for the width.

I have an 04 A6 Avant 2.5 TDI SE. It came with the sports suspension option and 17" wheels. My question is: will 16" wheels fit or will the rubber foul the suspension. I know most folk want to go the other way but I`d like to run quieter 16" rubber.
I`d appreciate opinions

I found different tyres made a huge difference to the noise - same vintage saloon with sport/17s. Finally settled on Goodyear GSD3s which were a LOT quieter and lasted longer than other options. Me, I'd be tempted to stick with 17s and change the tyres.

I think I`ve put this one to bed.
I`ve spent some time on the excellent car bibles site http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html
and the upshot is that to maintain the rolling circumfrence of my 235/45/17`s I`ll have to fit 205/60/16 on 16" rims of course. This would make my speedo read over by 1.44% which I could live with but this fitment was`nt an option on my year/model so I`m sticking with the 17" wheels.
Thanks for the input

Dave

I wouldn't rely on ur speedo being accurate in the first place, I'm running 225/35/20's and thats a far cry from 195/65/15 which were standard, yet my speedo is bang on 100% accurate, checked with my GPS at set steady speed, my astra tho is 4-5 mph out @ 70mph.