Nightmare! Help needed...

amimmortal

Reaction score
Evening all...

I've had a bad weekend.

Thursday night, managed to leave all four windows open during a rain storm, The rear passenger footwell is now sodden wet (I have no idea why the other footwells are dry). Of course, I'm assuming it's because the windows were open...

I suppose I just need to let it dry out over time?

Saturday morning, went to buy a new tyre at a tyre centre in Horden, Peterlee (NE England). Upon arrival, and forgetting that my new A6 is 20mm lower than my old A4, I pranged the front valence on a kerb while parking up. Net result, the lower bumper is scratched to buggery, and the undertray has been dislodged.

So, once I'd gotten over that, the new NSR tyre was fitted (and the unused spare was fitted to the OSR) meaning I had two new tyres on the back of the car. Smashing.

Saturday night, on the way back from the cinema, I became aware of a worrying vibration over 60mph.

I'm thinking perhaps either the new tyre or original spare has some kind of defect. Either way, it's a bit worrying. Any ideas? Could my wheel alignment be out?

Problem is, I've had to drive back up to fife so it isn't easy to go back to the tyre place to check it out.

Not a good weekend!

A.

Thats sucks :sadlike:

Could the vibration just be the wheel balancing not quite be right? If so then any local to you tyre place should be able to rebalance it for just a few quid.

Well, when I bumped the kerb I might have put the front wheels out of alignment too.

Although I didn't hit it with much pace, if you know what I mean?

I'll take it along to the local place up here tomorrow...

A.

Well, when I bumped the kerb I might have put the front wheels out of alignment too.

Reading your original post you bumped the kerb parking at the tyre place yeah? Or have I misread that? Did you get the tracking checked at the time? I must admit for £15 ish I get the tracking checked everytime I buy new front tyres.

Generally I imagine to hit the valance you must have hit the kerb "square on" - as such unlikely to knock the alignment, typically a vibration will be because of balancing rather than alignment.

You were lucky to just scratch your bumper. My wife drove up to a kerb in our old A6, bumper got caught on the kerb when reversing off and got ripped off!
Did any of your front wheel weights fall off when you hit the kerb.Wheels out of balance is usually shown up at 60ish.
I would get them re-balanced anyway ASAP.

Well, the undertray took a right clout, and the fastening bolts have sheared away, meaning it's not as secure as it was before. There's also a lovely big scratch, although thankfully it's out of sight.

I'm taking the car in to get balanced today - problem is, shouldn't the garage have done this for me?

I'll check to see if the weights are all still there...

A.