drainage problems

big phil

Reaction score
I have a problem in my engine bay.Where the battery sits its swimming in water.Can anyone tell me if theres a drainage hole in there somewhere,Or do you have to drill into the body

If it's like the B5 A4 then yes there are 2 drainage holes under the battery. They use these ridiculous rubber grommets that can get blocked with silt let alone leaves and other larger debris.
DrainHolesB5copy.jpg

Draingrommetcloseup.jpg

Check under your carpets as well as it's likely you'll have an inch or so of water under them. I simply removed the grommets as this has happened to me twice now and couldn't face drying out the carpets for a 3rd time.

There is a recall on models that have this problem, the Audi dealers in Cambridge say that the modification is done while you wait.

I suspect the modification involves a mechanic's finger making a poking motion at the grommet in order to remove the thing, apparently the dealer has seen hundreds of these cars with this problem, if it gets too bad the water pours down the pollen filter - into the cabin where it meets the ECU and good night Vienna...