new a6 owner close to tears!!

fastredz

Reaction score
hi guys

im new to the audi net forum you will usually find me on 300zx.co.uk forum hence the user name fastredz,

ok then down to buisness i bought a audi a6 1.8t 98r last week and the rev counter or the spedo dont work at all, im sure the previous owner mensioned a faulty relay?? where are these relays??

he also mentioned that he earthe the instrument cluster somwhere and now when i remove the key the instruments light up and the tem gauge goes right round to max,

but when i turn key on the whole dash goes off again!!

i dont have the driver info system on it

the imobiliser light works

and some other lights works as well millage doesont work or the trip meter

how could i check to see if i can find the fault
could it realy be a relay or have i bought a lemon DOH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

any help much appreceated

dewi
north wales

I dont know if this helps but it seems from my experiance with my A-6 that a LOT of electronic systemsn in the A-6 are inter-related. Our Power seat shorted out, disabling the power windows and the interior lights, as well as making the dash go haywire.

A simple malfunction in these cars seems to throw the entire car into a spin.

How did you resolve this problem? as I have something similar

well the tears have finally stopped a new instrument panel was fitted and it all works fine now!!

got a brand new set for £75 bargain audi wanted £450 + vat + fitting ***

Did you just remove the original cluster and replace it with the new one? I heard that Audi needed to do something to code the new cluster to the car otherwise it wouldn't start (I'm asking as I might be doing something similar to my S3 soon).

car going into garage to have it done next weekend will let you know how i got on,

and yes i think the imobiliser has something to do with the replacement clocks as my car wont start with the new clocks till the mechanic reprograms the new clocks for me