Cat Change

Ewok

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the CAT and lambda sensor on an A6 1.8T Quattro Avant?

If so how long did it take and how easy was it?

Ta :)

audis come with two cats. are u talking the first cat thats just behind the turbo(the round one) or the flatter one thats further down the pipe? O2 sensors are not too bad, they should just unscrew, but the problem can be with them is that they go through a lot of hot/cold cycles and can feel like theyre spot welded in there because of some corrsion. a pipe wrench with a long handle for leverage can get it out or a torch, just put something around the wires so you dont melt those removing the sensor

Thanks for the reply. I got a garage to do it in the end due to a lack of ramps/jacks.

the precat is a pain to get to. what we did on my car was this. take off the wheel(i have two snails so this was done per side) and unbolt the heatshields over the axles and all the extra metal that was in the way. then use a really long extension and a bendy bit that holds the socket to unbolt the bolts that were situated towards the outside of the car. my downpipes have 4. then get at the other two bolts from under the car. it was a big pain in the *** to actually pull out the downpipe. its much wider right where it meets the turbo. its a 3 inch pipe with a flange thats poking out about 1/4-1/2 inch in each direction, plus the little ears where the bolts go. a torch was used to cut it off just below the cat and the precat was pulled out forward, just above the drivetrain components and the rest of the pipe was pulled out from under the car. im not sure how the 1.8's are, but mine was a PITA.

Yeah, like I said, I got the garage to do it in the end......................shame they found my gearbox was knackered at the same time.

It looks like I going to end up spending over £2000 on the car this year!!(Throttle body, MAF, Turbo change, Cat, clutch and gearbox refurb!)

I thought Audis were ment to be reliable