AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question brake pad warning light

had the light come on occasionally so checked out the front pads,(told by an audi dealer light not connected to rears,-,strange) no wear issues with front pads,
    before i undertake a major investigation, anyone know of any common answers to this annoying fault.

thanks in advance

A6 avant

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    It could be that there is corrosion in the wiring connector and your getting a short circuit. The DIS would then think that the pads are worn. try cleaning the connector and applying WD40 to keep the water out
    Enda1

96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

Neutral

Status
    I'm also getting the light come on occaisionally,but the pads are fine. It seems to come on when bouncing over a rough road surface, which would suggest loose wires, but I have checked and all seems ok to me. Why I should need a malfunctioning warning light to tell me that my brakes need servicing beats me anyway. What was ever wrong with good old fashiond periodical maintenance? Is there anyway of cutting out/by passing this whole system?
    1999 Audi A6 Avant 2.4 SE Tiptronic
    1965 Rover 3 Litre Coupe manual o/d.

Deep Blue

Status
    check the inner pads not just the visible outers. it seems the inners wear quicker so you think there ok but aren't. have seen this before turned out the pads where low on the inners but seemed fine on the outers.

M
    A6 2.4Se Man
    Bmw 520Ise Auto

4th Gear

Status
    As the pads wear , it is replaced by fluid
    Could it be that the fluid is low rather than the pad?

Other than that , yes dirt and water (not that we get alot of rain) can get in to the contacts of the sensor , so may just need cleaning up
    Sarah

Status
    In my experience with wired up pads (going as far back as a Peugeot 504 in about 1988 yes I am nearly an old git), they are all pretty conservative ie they light up the warning light a long time before the pad is worn out. I would also check the handbook to see if any other problem triggers the warning light eg as Awesomesarah says it could be the fluid level.
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2007 BMW 535d AM Sport + Celtic remap
    2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip - sold & replaced by
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T
    1988 Yamaha FJ1200 120hp finally traded after 23 years for
    1986 Yamaha FJ100 (1300 barrels shhh!) with too many bits to mention
    2011 BMW 320d M Sport son #1
    2004 Suzuki SV650 S son #2

Reverse Gear

Status
    occasionally going over bumps and warmer weather seems to activate my light. cleaned up the connectors and measured up the pads against new ones, ...... still no nearer a solution

Neutral

Status
    Yes, the connector locking tab may be broken on the strut. It looks connected, but goes open circuit over bumps. Easy way to test is to remove the pad connector and make sure it clicks home easily and the rubber seal is not preventing correct fitment due to swelling up oversize. If the connectors are ok, you could have a broken wire which you can't see as the pvc insulation is still ok. Bridge the pins on each socket in turn with an old pad loom connector with ends joined together or a small loop of wire (cars loom, not the pad loom) secure any wiring and drive the car until you find out which corner of the car is causing the problem.

You have looked at the simple things first like the fluid level is high enough (as front and rear pads wear fluid level drops) to prevent warning and the inner pad sensor is not chaffed on a worn disc lip.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry not to jack this thread, but my car seems to have this on permanently! I have had brand new pads on the front not long ago. Flying spanner where is the car side loom locacted?

Neutral

Status
    Hi, the car side loom is on the strut. Its the socket left behind when you remove the pad sensor plug. Sorry I wasnt very clear.