Aftermarket Stereo

Verne

Reaction score
I need a little help with the stereo system in my 2.8SE Avant

The original Audi Concert stereo has the common deafening volume problem and after speaking to several people I have decided to replace it with my Pioneer CD head unit that I had in my Honda. This brings up a couple of questions.

Firstly, with the difference in the sizes of the stereo, I'll need a facia plate and so far I have managed to find 2 kinds (below)

fp-05-00.jpg
k846.jpg

Which is correct :uhm:

Secondly, it depends whether it is the Bose system as to which wiring adaptor I need. How do I know whether it's got the Bose system and will all the extra wiring fit behind the dash, as there seems to be a shortage of space and a lot of wires.

Without Bose
px710.jpg

With Bose
px712.jpg

TIA

your radio will say bose in the display when turned on and the lower door speaker grills will have bose logos too.

the difference between the leads is the bose system runs via pre out only all channels are externaly amplified.

the normal system has amplified rear speakers and requires the other lead.

i purchased the lead and the facia panel - i bought the two piece adapter, which worked fine,

i decided i did not like the aftermarket stereo fitted though, the flap did not shut, and the unit stuck out and looked wrong. - a fold out monitor, dvd player, tv and nav hidden away.

i replaced it with a nav plus unit, although looking back this ended up costing in excess of £500, and although i love it, it was more than i would spend - i got the radio new from a dealer for £220, so the mounting parts etc are the main cost-

does the pioneer illuminate red? if not it will stick out in your very red interior.

matt

The stereo isn't red, but gonna give it a go as it's the cheapest option.

Going to rewire myself to save have a mountain of wires to force behind the stereo, so does anyone have a proper wiring diagram to explain the label below.

DSCF2048.jpg

TIA

DSCF2048.jpg

TIA[/quote]

i take it you are handy with the wiring then??
it would be so much easier to use one of the looms above, but i can give you a starter for 10...

you have the two basic iso plugs - black and brown if i remember correctly, black is the power plug and the diagram above is the top one.

first pin on the left is the earth, the sun next to this is the illumination,

s cont is shown as a memory positive connection

mute - mute

ub+ permant live, next to that the switched live feed from the ignition.

k bus i believe is the lead to the dash to display the radio station etc on the dash.

ga - is the gala input for the speed dependant volume.

below this the speaker outputs - brown plug positive and negitive for left and right front speakers.

below this is a long plug made of three coloured sections - you only need to bother with the one on the right - rr,lr and com are the low level speaker connections with another switched positive from your head unit to turn on the amp.

the large red plug on the side is only used for aditional connections for example phone kits.

there are also better leads than shown above - i have an autoleads pc9-404, this has the two rca inputs to allow you to use your headunits rca out puts for the rear channels.

PC9-404.jpg

you can get these for less than a tenner, they will fit fine and a lot less hassle!

Thanks Matt :anbet:

exactly what I need on both accounts. I'll look at the loom before taking everything apart :icon_thumright: