Advise Please

Verne

Reaction score
Newbie needing advise :think:

Before you start, at least it's German :rolleyes:

Currently own a 1993 BMW 525 Touring, which is a little battered and bruised and am looking to change it for something a little newer.

Having 3 large dogs, we need a good sized estate and I would prefer to stay German so we went to look at a 1997 A6 2.6 Avant today and it was exactly what I'm looking for except that it has travelled further than the Starship Enterprise.

When buying, what are the main problems to look out for and is there anything to avoid altogether. Until recently I ran a Honda Prelude owners club and with them the tiptronic type auto boxes are a major problem, what are Audi autos like? Previous auto I had owned was a 1977 1.6 Passat :whistle2:

Any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA

OK then which is it?

Nobody likes newbies or nothing ever goes wrong on an Audi :uhm: :ermm: :laugh:

:sign_welcome:i can't help, you seem to be talking about the older model c4 a6, i am not aware of a c5 2.6.

you may get a better response on a c4 forum

matt

:sign_welcome:i can't help, you seem to be talking about the older model c4 a6, i am not aware of a c5 2.6.

you may get a better response on a c4 forum

matt

Sorry, C4, C5 etc mean nothing to me and posted in here as it was the only A6 section I could see. As said, bit of a noob as far as Audis are concerned, I was bought up on vdubs and had many, but no Audi as yet.

The one we went to look at was the earlier one, but we are interested in a couple of newer shape ones, a 1998 and 1999. Are they C4s or C5s :think:

The one my wife prefers of the 2 is a '98 2.8SE Avant, but the one is a manual and the other is auto, so need advise on what to look for and whether the autos should be avoided :whistle2:

Sorry, should have looked on Wikipedia earlier. Just checked and now understand the C4 and C5 thing :blush:

The first we saw was indeed a C4 and although we prefer the dash layout on that one, would prefer to buy a little newer, so will more than likely go for a C5.

Don't want to go too big engine wise cos of the price of fuel, but that said after driving a 2.5 BMW for the past 8 years, we still want something with a bit of get up and go and the 2.8 A6 has similar power to the BM
No disrespect to anyone, but would we be disappointed with a 2.4 :sorry:

Hi Verne.

The A6 forums aren't very busy; perhaps they're cars for older, more sensible people who have better things to do with their time than wander around forums. ;) There's a few of us old-before-our-time chaps here though but our knowledge is limited of course.

I still can't remember the C4-C5 thing and I've owned a '99 A6 for two years so you're in good company. :lol:

Everybody says the diesels go forever but I don't know about the petrols. I guess I'd be prepared to buy a high-mileage (150k+) petrol that was a bargain price but I'd have to be confident that it's been well serviced by someone half competent and that it hasn't been thrashed between services. Our own 140k mile diesel A6 has a caravan towbar fitted, for example, so I suspect it's done its share of hard work in the past. The engine seems perfectly good but I'm not sure about the Tiptronic 'box, which regularly has a benny and throws errors.

If "yours" has cruised its entire life on the motorway at 70mph then I guess it'd be OK but if it's been used as a taxi then I'd stay well away.

Hope that helps. I can't tell you anything about the petrol engines' performance. Sorry. Check it's had cambelt changes on time though.

You certainly wont be dissapointed with the 2.4 its on par with more power at 165 or 170 depending on year and is comparable with your the bm the 2.4 is more powerful than the 2.6 it replaced. the only difference youll notice is cruising revs. The 2.4 likes more revs compared to bemmers.

to be dissapointed you would look at the 1.9tdi ot the 1.8T or 2.0 which are way underpowered for a car this size

(though bear in mind the c5 weighs the same as the new 1.4 focus at 1750KG.)

I have both a newer e39 and c5 2.4. the 2.4 will pull 140 and 0-60 in under 9 secs on paper.

I have seen 140 on the dsh and it scared me silly.

Things to look for

CV joints, water pump changed every 40-50 k ,Cambelts every 50k, MAF probs and Temp sensors. Electrical gremlins such as central locking,windscreen wiper linkages,information displays going and doorlocks which house the interior light and lights on switches.

Otherss
water in front footwells due to blocked bulkhead drain holes regular services, oil usage (scraper rings not changed on earlier models)

Else there pretty good

A good late c5 can be had for good money now and its a lot of car for the money.

I dont know about c4S a bit older so will be really cheap I.E sub 1500 or less any more it would have to be showroom condition as the c5 can be had for just over 2 to 3k for a 98-99

Hope this helps

M

the auto boxes can give trouble - if i remember right there are two types of box, the worst as far as i can remember is called a multitronic box, and can require a rebuild 80-100k.

and i think the quattros only have the good version fitted - anyone feel free to chip in if i am wrong, - i am not an auto guy.

i have a manual 2.8 quattro, and it is pushing 146k at the moment, the v6 engines - 2.4 and 2.8 are very relaible engines with many doing very high mileages.

i would not rule out a diesel although a 130bhp will still be pricey as they are 2001+, and the 2.5 v6 is thirsty and sounds like a truck!

they are not the fastest cars which ever you buy as max said they are heavy, but they have space and comfort, and still look good imho.

www.audiworld.com is a good site for all your audi needs with a tech section and c4 /c5 forums. it is american but i like it!

this site is good for assistance from fellow members, but does have less traffic.

matt

Thanks guys

The wife and I did a 350 mile round trip yesterday and went and bought a 1998 C5 2.8 SE Avant with 66k miles:yahoo:

Interior is spotless, but the bodywork has a couple of scuffs and a bit of bubbling on the roof near the roof rails, the driver's side rear light is cracked and the volume control for the stereo is possessed.

We paid less than most cars advertised with twice the miles, so apart from the wanting to sort the bits above, we're very happy with it so far.

I dare say I will be on here asking questions, but for now, all is good:applaus:

nice, glad you found one, and local too!

what is the stereo doing its not just the speed volume (gala) is it?

nice, glad you found one, and local too!

what is the stereo doing its not just the speed volume (gala) is it?

Yes, nice and local :wacko:

If you try and turn it up or down, it goes to Nova boy volume, my ears start bleeding and then goes off altogether if I try adjust it back again.

Don't get me wrong, I like my music loud :thrashi:, but not to that extent :wtf: