Persistent oil leak

karl7900

Reaction score
Right peeps.

Need some advice or ideas from anyone who might have had the same problem as I have at the moment.

Since I bought my car almost two years ago, it has always weeped oil around the engine bay. So far the two rocker cover gaskets have been replaced and just this week a hair line crack was found in the sump plate so that was replaced also.

But the leak persists. My mechanic is away on holiday for a week from today, but when he returns, we are going to remove the front of the car to get better access to the engine for a good look. Should mention that the car is a 2.4 V6 with 97,500 miles on the clock. When we had the sump off at the start of the week the oil was a nice healthy black with no sludge or evidence of water.

The oil seems to be coming from around the passenger side just above where the oil filter is sited. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what to look for around this engine.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated in clearing up this annoying niggley problem cos the car goes like a dream otherwise :o.k:

Thanks, Karl.

I had to replace the crankcase breather filter to stop a persistant oil leak from the camshaft front seal on my V6 TDI engine. I don't know anything about the petrol engines, but if your crankcase is under pressure because the breather is blocked then you'll never stop the oil finding a way to get out of the engine.

PS. :) @ your avatar

I'll bear that in mind about the crankcase breather. :icon_thumright:

The new sump seems to have almost cured the leak but there is still a small leak coming from some where, so today we added a treatment to the oil that's supposed to freshen up the oil seals, so I'll see how that goes.

PS. :) @ your avatar

:hi: