Which Diesel?

NLM13

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am thinking of changing my much loved A4 Quattro for an A6 diesel. Just wondering which engine is best to go for? can anyone give me realistic mpg's for the 2.7 and 3.0 engines or should I just go for the 2 litre?

Thanks in advance.

3 litre diesel gives me 500 miles to a tank.
After a remap at QST, I now get 590 miles per tank.

Lets see - it's a 73 litre fill which is 16 gallons.

• 500 miles to 16 gallons is 31 miles per gallon.
  • 590 miles to 16 gallons is 37 miles per gallon.
Thats a mixture of 50% motorway and 50% round town.

On a motorway run from south coast to Manchester and back again, I can get 630 miles to the tank. I worked that out at around 40mpg.

... after an AmD remap, my A4 3 litre diesel used to do 550 to a 13.86 gallon tank - that equates to 40mpg too.

Hope that helps!

:beerchug:

Hi, I have a (03) 2.5 TDi quattro sport auto, I am lucky to get 28mpg, I am sure without the auto box it would be better, even losing the quattro would help.

All depends what you want, every 'extra' will mean less mpg.

Whatever you do, do not use supermarket diesel, the new uprated diesels (BP and Shell) have a distinct effect, perhaps not so much on mpg, but performance and general engine wellbeing is much improved.

Personally I think a newish 2.0 TDi Quattro manual would provide the best balance, but again it's down to what is important to you.

hope this helps.:thumbsup:

I have a C6 2.7 TDI and i get 44 mpg, mainly b road driving @ 60 mph.

If i am on a Motorway run and keep it to 70mph i can get 51mpg.

Thanks for the info, it would apear that they are all better than the 29mpg I get at the moment when driving sensibly! It would seem the 2.7 is the one to go for. Off to check the ads now.

I recommend the 2.7, its not quite as fast as the 3.0 but the mpg is much better and in real world driving its more than fast enough.

Or you can follow my route........

1) Buy A6 2.0 TDI

2) Remap A6 2.0 TDI

3) Enjoy the same power as the 2.7 (175 bhp)

4) Pay Mr Brown only £145 road tax

5) Enjoy more economy. On a recent trip to York from the Midlands I saw 61 mpg average!!!

:yahoo:

I like the sound of that! Where did you get the re-map done?

Lorne

Or you can follow my route........

1) Buy A6 2.0 TDI

2) Remap A6 2.0 TDI

3) Enjoy the same power as the 2.7 (175 bhp)

4) Pay Mr Brown only £145 road tax

5) Enjoy more economy. On a recent trip to York from the Midlands I saw 61 mpg average!!!

:yahoo:

Good advice but if you want a diesel Quattro A6 then unfortunately it has to be 2.7 or 3.0

Hi, I have a (03) 2.5 TDi quattro sport auto, I am lucky to get 28mpg, I am sure without the auto box it would be better, even losing the quattro would help.

Great cars the 2.5 diesels :)