Steering Vibration

djcormie

Reaction score
Hello All, need some advice

My 2000 S6 has a slight vibration through the steering wheel when on full lock at slow speed, when turning right, theres also a faint squeakin noise. It doesn't shudder under braking and theres no noticeable vibration at speed. I had the wheels rotated and balanced over the weekend and there's was no play from the wheels when they were off the ground.

Any ideas before I head off to the garage, just worried they'll take the **** once they hear S6

Cheers

Mark

CV joint failure tends to be more a knocking /cracking noise than a squeak. Wheel bearing may be on the way, if its getting serious you would start to notice the steering becoming slightly less precise at speed. Suspension arm bushes classic weak spot, these do make strange noises. Power steering fluid level worth checking, if its low, at full lock the pump may be squeaking as it cavitates through lack of fluid, and pulsing/juddering as it pumps then doesn't.

thanks for the reply fjtwelve, I had a response on rs246 for the wheel bearings, so thats a thought, but I have noticed that it will vibrate slightly when on full lock to the left, definitely not as much as turning right but its still there. MUst have a look at the fluid level myself to see

Cheers

Mark

I'd guess power steering too... (But I'm no expert. :) )