tyre / suspension modificatons

huggis

Reaction score
I'm looking to improve the ride and handling (mainly the ride though) of my 2007 Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDi. The car is used for normal day-to-day driving.

The car has 18" alloys with low profile tyres (245/40) on the standard suspension set-up. My main complaint is how unsettled the car is over anything other than a perfect road surface. It also tracks any imperfections (e.g. if there is a slight camber in the road) which I find annoying. Any improvement in the dynamics / handling of the car and appearance would obviously be desirable.

I am also considering replacing the Continental tyres for something which may have a better ride.

Any advice on tyres or suspension modificatons welcomed.

:zen:

Certainly most of your problems will be your tyres.

By having a ultra low profile tyre your suspension is taking all of the minor undulations.

The cheapest and easiest solution is drop the rim size and fit higher profile tyres.

Else your talking lower rated shocks and springs as higher rating will stiffen things up but wont make for a particularly comfortable ride. you will feel every bump and may make tramlining worse as there is no give to absorb any minor changes in road surface.

Continental are normally a good tyre though I prefer dunlops as they have a slightly softer side wall so that may be a another avenue for you as this will improve the absorbtion rates.

M
m

Another tyre option to consider is Good Year F1s - I put those on and what a difference to ride, handling (wet in particular) and noise - although my 1.9TDi has the sport suspension (17" wheels). Transformed the car.

all, I replaced the stock springs with Eibachs and that has made a big improvement in all areas. Also changed the tyres to Good Year Eagle F1 Asymetrics but have only done a few miles so too early to comment.

hi, upgraded the tyres to F1s and no real difference in ride quality. fiitting ebach progressive springs did make an improvement though.