AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    25

    Question Aircon Issues.....?

    Having problems with the Aircon on my Allroad.Press the auto button and everything fires up as normal but temp doesn't drop.(fans runs ok)
    I was under the impression that if refrigerant was low the the auto light wouldn't come on.
    Anybody have any ideas or info beefore i take it to a garage to get ripped off?

    Thanks
    '02 ALLROAD 2.5 TDI 180 TIPTRONIC
    '53 VW POLO 1.4 TDI SPORT.......62+MPG and now 215000 miles on the clock!!!!
    '98 VW GOLF TDI ESTATE.......gone but not forgotten

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    maxlbrown's Avatar
    Deep Blue

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    hampshire UK
    Posts
    248
    If you shop around you can get the System regassed and oiled for between 40- 50 quid which is a better bet than the cans from halfords (they charge 30 quid or so where in the states there between 4 and 8 dollors) unless you got a gauge already as it is easy to over fill and blow either a pipe or the compressor.

    I dont know where you are but here in reading and basingstoke we have few around who do this.

    M
    A6 2.4Se Man
    Bmw 520Ise Auto

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    25
    Update...
    Took car to a friends garage and refrigerant was low (about half full) so had it charged up to correct amount.Aircon still not working though.Compressor clutch doesn't seem to kick in when Auto selected.Compressor doesn't appeare to be seized as it can the pulley can be moved by hand.Everything else seems ok.
    Anybody have any clues?????
    Could it be the safety switch that isn't working?
    Thanks
    '02 ALLROAD 2.5 TDI 180 TIPTRONIC
    '53 VW POLO 1.4 TDI SPORT.......62+MPG and now 215000 miles on the clock!!!!
    '98 VW GOLF TDI ESTATE.......gone but not forgotten

  5. #4
    maxlbrown's Avatar
    Deep Blue

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    hampshire UK
    Posts
    248
    sounds like a new compressor as if i remeber rightly the clutch is not replaceable on its own. there is a shear pin in the clutch so if the refridgerant is to high it prevents damage to the system and compressor. check out if the clutch is a replaceable part. but i am sure i have seen this elsewhere and clutch is an integral part to the compressor.

    M
    A6 2.4Se Man
    Bmw 520Ise Auto

  6. #5
    simonwjones's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    staffs uk
    Posts
    344
    definately the shear pin gone, you cant get the parts seprately and a new compressor is needed.

    They arent cheap and there are a few different models used so you need to get the right part number.

    Have a look on ebay for refurbed

    Simon
    A6 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 180
    A6 1.9tdi Avant ................. Gladly missed
    A6 2.8 Quattro .................. Sadly missed
    Quattro 2.8 Coupe ............. Sadly missed

    RNS-E, Audi BT, Phatnoise

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    25
    Managed to fix Air Con a couple of days after my last post.Basically found a loose connector between the magnetic clutch relay and the clutch itself.Reconnected and hey presto......ice cold air.
    Thankfully it was something simple that just needed a little fault diagnosis.
    Thanks for the input guys
    '02 ALLROAD 2.5 TDI 180 TIPTRONIC
    '53 VW POLO 1.4 TDI SPORT.......62+MPG and now 215000 miles on the clock!!!!
    '98 VW GOLF TDI ESTATE.......gone but not forgotten

  8. #7
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    Quote Originally Posted by maxlbrown View Post
    If you shop around you can get the System regassed and oiled for between 40- 50 quid which is a better bet than the cans from halfords (they charge 30 quid or so where in the states there between 4 and 8 dollors) unless you got a gauge already as it is easy to over fill and blow either a pipe or the compressor
    Were you suggesting that you buy a can of R134a from Halfords and fill up the system youself using a pressure gauge??


    Quote Originally Posted by djl78 View Post
    Managed to fix Air Con a couple of days after my last post.Basically found a loose connector between the magnetic clutch relay and the clutch itself.Reconnected and hey presto......ice cold air.
    Thankfully it was something simple that just needed a little fault diagnosis.
    Thanks for the input guys
    Glad you got it sorted. By the way the pressure being too low wouldn't cause the shear pin to fail. In fact if the pressure was too high the high pressure cut out would prevent damamge to the compressor unless the HPO failed.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  9. #8
    enda1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    439
    [quote=staz1000;541833]Were you suggesting that you buy a can of R134a from Halfords and fill up the system youself using a pressure gauge??

    See the attached link for the refill can from halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_35126
    Enda1

    96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

  10. #9
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    Quote Originally Posted by enda1 View Post

    See the attached link for the refill can from halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_35126
    Yes I don't doubt that you can buy the cans. But to actually use these products is stupid and dangerous. AND a waste of money.
    Last edited by Staz; 15th May 2008 at 23:36.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  11. #10
    maxlbrown's Avatar
    Deep Blue

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    hampshire UK
    Posts
    248
    Yes you can get these through halfords. the kits have been available in the states for years and cost a tenth what they do here

    Out there you can get R134A and R12- R134a converstion kits and the new refrigerant

    this company also do some kits a lot cheaper. as long as you get the one with gauges there ok for a top off.
    http://www.coolcaraircon.co.uk/

    They are far from a waste of money i have used a number of these kits purchased both here and in the states from a full refill on a r12 to r134a converstion of a honda accord to a top up of my system. the refrigerant with oil in the states is about 4 bucks a can of 600mil most cars need no more than 1-1.200 grammes of refridgerant any way.

    I have the gauges and thermometers etc for this my point being why pay uk prices for these kits when you can get a full system check for the same money

    aircon recharging is getting very cheap now as more cars have aircon fitted.

    M
    Last edited by maxlbrown; 16th May 2008 at 11:18. Reason: forgot to read
    A6 2.4Se Man
    Bmw 520Ise Auto

  12. #11
    enda1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    Yes I don't doubt that you can buy the cans. But to actually use these products is stupid and dangerous. AND a waste of money.
    Why is it stupid and why is it dangerous? How do you think they do it "professionally" they transfer the gas from one pressurised container to another ie from their cylinders to your car.
    Enda1

    96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

  13. #12
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    Quote Originally Posted by enda1 View Post
    Why is it stupid and why is it dangerous? How do you think they do it "professionally" they transfer the gas from one pressurised container to another ie from their cylinders to your car.
    By the use of professional equipment. If you thing that sticking a hose on from a can is the same then you need to do some research, I'm not going to sit here and teach you.

    A starter for ten for you though, you cannot measure the amount of refrigerant in a system by its pressure. Anyone that claims to be able to do so doesn't know what they're talking about and has no concept of thermodynamics.

    Also they have the added bonus of being legally qualified to carry out work on ECS. Something which is pretty important in my eyes and is there for a reason.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  14. #13
    enda1's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    By the use of professional equipment. If you thing that sticking a hose on from a can is the same then you need to do some research, I'm not going to sit here and teach you.

    A starter for ten for you though, you cannot measure the amount of refrigerant in a system by its pressure. Anyone that claims to be able to do so doesn't know what they're talking about and has no concept of thermodynamics.

    Also they have the added bonus of being legally qualified to carry out work on ECS. Something which is pretty important in my eyes and is there for a reason.
    Well as a chartered engineer who studied thermodynamics at uni for 3 years I would like to point you in the direction of the equation below

    The state of an amount of gas is determined by its pressure, volume, and temperature according to the equation:
    PV=nRT
    where P
    is the absolute pressure of the gas, V is the volume of the gas, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant, T is the absolute temperature.
    P is known from the gauge, V is the volume of the sytem R is a constant and T is the ambient temperature and these will give you n the number of moles of the gas present and this equates directly into the mass of the gas
    Last edited by enda1; 16th May 2008 at 11:43.
    Enda1

    96 S6 2.3T
    99 A6 1.8T SE
    93 80 2.0 (gone)
    93 Kawasaki ZZR600

  15. #14
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    Quote Originally Posted by enda1 View Post
    Well as a chartered engineer who studied thermodynamics at uni for 3 years I would like to point you in the direction of the equation below

    The state of an amount of gas is determined by its pressure, volume, and temperature according to the equation:
    PV=nRT
    where P
    is the absolute pressure of the gas, V is the volume of the gas, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the universal gas constant, T is the absolute temperature.
    P is known from the gauge, V is the volume of the sytem R is a constant and T is the ambient temperature and these will give you n the number of moles of the gas present and this equates directly into the mass of the gas


    The problem is, not all the refrigerant in the system is a gas. So, you cannot measure the weight of refrigerant in a system by its pressure.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO