Chris NottSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

S6 2000 Annoying Rattle

Hi guys,

Have an annoying rattle coming from underneath the armrest and handbrake housing.. It sounds like a loose screw or something rattling around there.. I cant see how to get the handbrake wood and the arm off though so I can investigate.. the tray next to the handbrake seems to come off with a pull but cant figure out the rest..

Can anyone help me get the armrest housing and the handbrake wood cowling off please?

Thanks
    Last edited by claytow; 3rd April 2008 at 17:34.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Can noone help?

Neutral

Status
    I installed a hands-free kit after Christmas and ended up trying to remove the whole centre console to retrieve a screw that I dropped down there

It's not an easy job. I never did work out how to remove the plastic trim that fits to the handbrake lever, and without removing that I couldn't get the console completely off.

Removing the visible bits of trim (wood?) from the top of the handbrake and next to it is fairly easy. The bits just clip on so find their weak spot and lever them gently off. I think the top trim on the handbrake slides forwards (or could be backwards) before lifting off. However, accessing the more fundamental mounting points for the whole console is a lot more difficult. You need to remove the central rear passenger vent and the arm rest in order to release the rear end of the console, and you can't loosen the front without releasing the dashboard and the radio, AC and ashtray units. It's not a 20 minute job.

That's perhaps why you've had no responses - there's too much to describe.
    2010 A6 Avant TDI S-Line LeMans
    1999 A6 Avant 2.5 TDI Quattro - gone, not forgotten.