To Diesel or not to Diesel.......

jasaudi

Reaction score
Guys

I am on a quick visit here from the A3 forum as I am going to buy an A6.

I have recently got rid of a 2.0L diesel which I had incredible problems with on very cold mornings due to the diesel being cold. This resulted in a lag between puting you foot on the pedal to get out of a T juction and something actually happening. Somewhat scary and it only happens when the car is just started on really cold mornings. Sadly I have a T junction 10 yards from my house and I am not well behaved enough to warkm the engine up for 10 minutes before leaving in the morning.

The question is therefore to all of you diesel owners. Is this something that you have ever experienced and is it something that is less common on the larger diesels like the 2.7L and 3.0L?

Many thanks in advance

I have never had that problem with my 2.7TDI C6, only thing when the engine is cold is that the gearbox is rather reluctant to go in to 1st, i have talk to 3 Audi stealer who are say this is normal...

MartinM said:
I have never had that problem with my 2.7TDI C6, only thing when the engine is cold is that the gearbox is rather reluctant to go in to 1st, i have talk to 3 Audi stealer who are say this is normal...

Sounds like it needs some new oil, or at least a better quality one.

jasaudi said:
Guys

I am on a quick visit here from the A3 forum as I am going to buy an A6.

I have recently got rid of a 2.0L diesel which I had incredible problems with on very cold mornings due to the diesel being cold. This resulted in a lag between puting you foot on the pedal to get out of a T juction and something actually happening. Somewhat scary and it only happens when the car is just started on really cold mornings. Sadly I have a T junction 10 yards from my house and I am not well behaved enough to warkm the engine up for 10 minutes before leaving in the morning.

The question is therefore to all of you diesel owners. Is this something that you have ever experienced and is it something that is less common on the larger diesels like the 2.7L and 3.0L?

Many thanks in advance

I'm not sure your explanation is correct, diesel freezes at a very low point, its unlikely that anywhere in the UK would be cold enough for long enough to give you issues starting. Maybe your glowplugs are on their way out.
As for the hesitancy, my 1.9 A4 was the same first thing in the morning, all you need to do is adjust your driving sytle to suit, don't pull out when there is a car coming, wait for a clearer space or rev it up a bit first!