A6 Avant Advice

936ADL

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently looking for an A6 as the family do it all vehicle.

I'm quite keen on the 2.5 TDI variants, especially the Quattro Sports.

Is there anything i should be looking out for? Or can anybody point me in the direction of a buyers guide.

Are there any other models that i should be considering.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Ive had a few A6 petrol and diesel and in my opion the 2.5tdi Quattro sport is the best allround for economy and performance.

My last one was a 1.9tdi estate, greeat load carrier and masses of room, but just too gustless for my in an A6. It my be fine in an A4, just my opinion.

All A6 have very similar things to look out for.

check timing belt and tensioners have been changed, either 60 or 80,000 miles.

check cv joints and drop links on suspension. these are prone to go with miles getting upto 100k.

Dont worry about mileage as long as service history is good. High miles on a newish car means motorway. Most A6's tend to be managers or business users cars and so tend to have good history. I would ratjer have one of these than a low milegae one used by grandma to go shopping once a week.

Apart from that I wouldnt have anything else and I already know what my next car will be.

Good luck in your search.

ps 180 quattro sports are as easy to find as rocking horse ****.

Simon

There are several earlier threads on this subject if you search for them. I bought mine at 109,000 miles and 4 years old. It has required a new N75 valve, an exchange MAF, CV joints to both front wheels and a bearing, and a new wiper motor. Brake pads replaced once so far. I get the 4 wheel alignment done regularly, some people don't realise the rear wheels can be aligned on a quattro, so check. The cam belt has been changed with all the associated pulleys and ancillary belts at the specified 80000 mile interval. All the electrics still function ok, except problem in last few weeks with air blower. Leather interior is in very good condition, and all the lights cupholders ashtrays ciggie lighters seat adjusters seat belts load covers dog guards you name it all work fine. You should not expect less unless it hasn't been cared for, in which case walk away and find another one.
I have chipped it with noticeable benefits, especially to the low revs response. As i was doing a high mileage i was using the long life services but have now reverted to the 10000 mile interval as i am below 30k a year now. Tyres last 15 to 22000 miles depending on opoen road or motorway use, Goodyears are grippy but wear out, Continentals are longer lasting but not quite as good in the wet. Have averaged 33mpg to date. Engine failed at 174k due to oil pump failure but this does not appear to be a common problem. Rebuilt back on the road and up to 184k at nearly 7 years old. This is a long distance mile muncher, not especially nippy around town. If you have small kids or if you do a lot of suburban driving consider a 1.9tdi A4 Avant that has been chipped . If you have big kids and or long journeys you will struggle to match the A6 Avant. If you go for the 2WD the economy will be much better but once you've gone quattro its difficult to go back

I took the plunge today and purchased a 53 plate Quattro Sport!

Looking forward to the ownership experience......

Cheers,

Andy

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new car. Get some pictures into the picture thread so we can all have a nosey at it too.

Karl.

Hi.
Simon is right, they're not easy to come by. Took me two months to find one. I just got home with it today. 105k miles, 2003 Avant Quattro 2.5 Auto, cost me £9k. I'm now in the process of selling my 530i Sport Auto 135k miles. Great car, but too thirsty now for my requirements. Before the bimmer, back in 2003 I had a new A6 avant 1.9 Multitronic that a got on a lease. The box is a great idea and efficiency was amazing, but had b***dy awful reliability. That's why this time around I had to go for a quattro because I wanted a conventional auto box and only the quattro has it I believe. First impressions are limited, engine feels responsive & powerful if not particularly economical - can't have it all I guess. Ride and grip are good. I've got some vibes on the m-way at 70-80mph, just hope it only a wheel balance and not something sinister! Not sure about these long life services, mines got 10k miles to go before the next one and the oil looks shot to me - black and thin!
Good luck with the search, Adriano

Viggers

9K for afive year old car with over 100k this seems steep

I paid 9 for a 3.5 yr old with 70 k

ok petrol but i was paying ott for it as i could have got the same private for between 7.5k with 100k to 8 k at 60 to 70ish.

Still as they said 180s are hard to come by.

M

Oh, and if you can get the timing belt done before purchasing it saves a big bill later on !!

J

Well, i've just returned from a week away in Cornwall with the family in the newly purchased A6 Avant and i'm well impressed.

Fast, sure footed, and very comfortable!