v6 timing belt change

bigdavie

please speak slowly so i'll understand !
Reaction score
got my timing belt kit today but pretty unwell ( manflu) so i'll be changing it next week .
it's a 2.4 v6 btw ! anyway i'm gonna take some pics and may write up a how 2 on it !
but only if there would be some interest
what do you think ?

cheers

are you going to change the water pump and tensioner pulley at the same time.

By all accounts the water pump is a 5 minute job when doing the cam belt and also the pulley both are common failures if not replaced at the same time.

to do the cam belt the whole front is supposed to come off to doit let us know how you get on as mine is due soon.

Good luck M

got a full gates kit here ! and yeah everything will be changed ! except the water pump ! gonna inspect it once the belts off ! any play whatsoever and yup its off !

its a very impressive kit i must say !
i'm a time served mechanic and i have never seen such a wide belt in all my days as a spanner monkey !
that and the quality of the idler and tensioner ! wow !
it's a quality car i seem to have acquired !

The problem with the water pumps is that the impeller is made of plastic. you need to take it out and inspect it for cracks etc. even if there are no cracks visible it might still be close to failure point. For peace of mind it might be better to change it

Enda is correct the same problem exists with BMW. for peace of mind and £25 I would recomend replacing it. as every thing has to come out to replace it and i think the cam belt has to come off as well so why do the same job twice.

Regards

M

hmm i didnt know they were plastic ! i think i'll just change it then to be on the safe side !

cheers guys