2000 a6 passenger window bother ! sticky..done a search, nothing is broken,any ideas?

rabskyline

Reaction score
took the panel off to check out the clips etc but nothing was broken or looked out of place...there is however some vertical play at the rear pillar end of the glass which when lifted cures it... about 2cm...when i lift it and press the button , it comes up ok...but seems to jam otherwise and the go back once it stalls.... what else can it be ? i'll try and post a video if it helps or if anyone has mhad this then can you tell me whats causing this...its a pain when you forget about it and someone opens it .....

Hi is the window sticky going up but ok going down this is a common porblem. I had this problem on my S6 and it just needed a new guides for the window small plastic parts that attach to the guide at either side that the motor moves and attach to the bottom of the glass. Its a upgraded part I think if you guide is green or blue its the old one the new ones are red part number 4b0 837 463b listed as carrier you need 2 at £1.90 each. The parts are fairly easy to change you have to removed the door frame from the door shell it took me less than an hour to do the passenger front door on mine.

strange ! yes it seems to go tight up the way but drops fine...i will order these parts in ! thanks ! at that price, cant hurt to change them !! :icon_thumright:

You might not need new guides - I had a similar problem with my drivers side window and a good cleaning is all it needed.

If you do need the new bits make sure you get both the guide and the retainer. they were slightly different on my 98!

got the bits today. do it tomorrow.....is there a knack to it or anything specific to do ?

if you search the threads there is a full procedure on here somewhere

I am also in need of replacing the guides on both of my front windows. Can anyone advise where i can obtain these guides please without paying a fortune for them , I need 4 altogether and i notice that another guy bought these for £1.90 each but did not state where from ........
anyone help please ?

Silicon spray (or wd 40) in the guide runners every now and again should sort it or at the worst water can get into the motor and rust one of the cogs up,strip, clean & grease and you can save your self 200 snakes for a new moter!

i now own the original poster's car ! and all it needed was a dousing in silicon spray !

Cool diid anyone get the location and price for the runners in the end?
cos i have the sam issue on my passenger side :)

I agree with postings - I am on my second A6 and this is common - it seems the strips on the outside of window get ganked up with algae pollen dust etc and then cause stickiness which causes wear on guides - However if its still under warranty I would have them also check motor as on one occasion the motor on the window nmotor drive wore and needed replacement

Cheers

The main problem is that the "anti sprog with head out of window system" kicks in with the added friction and lowers the window.Mine was always worse after long wet periods where the joints must have swelled!

My drivers door window would go down O.K. but not up again. I got a pair of the plastic guides - sold as a 'window repair kit' - from VAG parts for £7.76 incl. p & p
These appear to be an uprated part from the original. I followed an article on Audiworld.com & the whole job took less than 2 hours without rushing.
Turned out mine weren't worn but one was actually broken.