A6 power steering fluid

Bayleaf

Reaction score
A simple query. I need to top up the power steering fluid in my 1999 2.4 avant. The handbook only gives the spec for Audi`s own fluid. Must I use this, or is there another compatable type out there?

So nobody out there has EVER topped up their power steering fluid on an Audi! This must be some sort of record!!!

I can't say I ever have, but I'm sure I'll have to one day. Can you not just order the audi spec stuff from vagparts.com or something?

Actually, I need to change my power steering pump soon, will probably have to change the fluid too. Let me know if you find out what can be used. Personally I think any generic power steering fluid would work the same.

Just spoken to Warrington Audi. They said any good quality mineral based fluid would be fine. I have a garage full of allsorts of oils for the various cars I run, so to go and buy something else just because it has an Audi label on it seemed rather extravagant to me.

Just check it meets the G002000 spec. it would be a shame to have to replace all the seals in your power steering system for the sake of a £5 bottle of oil

managed to get a bottle of the correct spec (G002000) off the shelf in my local car accessory store. Its the same stuff as used in some Rolls Royce high pressure hydraulics, also Much cheaper than a bottle with a pretty Audi label on it! Its so simple when you know isn`t it!