Easy fix for LCD panel fading on instrument cluster!

dwest218

Reaction score
This was posted in the A3 forum and just wondering if anyone has tried this and had success??

""Dont let the Audi garages fool you, the whole cluster does not need changing. Mine did exactly the same thing, worse on hot days, better on cooler days. Audi also said change the cluster, I thought forget it! I took it out, there's 3 plugs on the back. Turn it over, there's a few torx screws, take those out, and loosen the black clips which hold the clear face to the rest of the cluster.
What happens is the lcd display glass has a thin ribbon cable on its right hand side that powers the display, the bonding/glueing on this ribbon cable comes loose, doesn't make proper contact thats why the lines come and go.
Over the top of the display is a metal cover plate held on by 4 legs bent on the back of the pc board. Straighten these, and it comes off. WORK GENTLY!!!
Then you can remove the lcd glass. Be careful, don't loose the 2 pieces of plastic behind the lcd glass. IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT BOTH OF THESE.
Then, either take the lcd panel to a good electronic company to re-bond the ribbon cable for you, or find a place that makes and sells lcd displays.
Don't worry about the codes either, so long as you disconnect the cluster with the ignition off, once you plug it back, everything will work fine.

I did mine myself, just added 2 extra strips of thin rubber strip behind the lcd on either side, and made the metal cover press down slightly harder on the ribbon cable so it makes better contact, and it works perfectly. All in all, an hour or so's work.""

this is just what I was looking for. I've heard and seen (on the A6 just bought) and was suspecting the connection problem because of the heat issue that I hear the reason of those going out.
when I pick up my A6. I'm going to pull it out and take a look.

I'd be really interested to hear about people's stories of trying this on their A6. I've been thinking there must be a simple solution for ages but nobody had found out what that would be.

:respekt:

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing the same issue with my dash on A6 (2000 year).
But, i do not know how get to the back of the dash to fix - has anyone done this on an A6 - if so, do you need to remove all of the dash ?

Many thanks

Pull the plastic cover towards you. ( the one that sits just below the clocks) You will then see 2 screws. Make sure you have the correct size screwdriver and remove these. They can be tight if never been off before.

Easy the clocks out and stick your hand behind them from the left side. There is a clip at the far end. Pull this up and it will lever the connector off the back of the clocks. Do the same with the other one on the right.

Pretty easy once you have done it once.

Simon

excellent - i'll give it a go

cheers,

Jason

yeah rest of the instruction is same.
you need to unscrew 2 screw that on the cover behnd the volt meter and oil
then snape the front part out.
then snap 2 clip fo rear cover that will reveal the back of the metal casing on the LCD.
I have tried few things haven' got it back work 100% yet.
I think I might look for some place repair LCD and have them reglue the ribbon cable.

So I disassembled my newly purchased 2000 audi a6 2.8 wagon dashboard to try this.

First off...WOW that is not a procedure for beginners! Once you've gotten the gauge cluster unit out of the dash then you have to take that into three different pieces just to get to the LCD. Even then I couldn't get the LCD off. And to boot I couldn't spot any pads underneith to replace. There are ribbons on either side on the back of the lcd though. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

And NO. Definetely will not be doing that again. Alot of delicate work for a $9000 car I've only had 11 days.

Oh yes and all back together and working as well as ever. (mine was never really all that bad). Most mornings all my lines are intact.

:hi:

frankinstyn said:
So I disassembled my newly purchased 2000 audi a6 2.8 wagon dashboard to try this.
Oh yes and all back together and working as well as ever. (mine was never really all that bad). Most mornings all my lines are intact.
So has it improved things at all for you?

I've got to ask: if it wasn't that bad, why go to the hassle of trying this? :)

Thanks for reporting your findings though. I haven't had the balls to try it yet :salute:

mine is fine on my a6 ! but at the first sign of any bother those clocks are out ! this car doesnt know what it's in for lol .

SiliconS said:
So has it improved things at all for you?

I've got to ask: if it wasn't that bad, why go to the hassle of trying this? :)

Thanks for reporting your findings though. I haven't had the balls to try it yet :salute:

Hasn't improved anything really. Exactly the same as it was.

I tried this procedure for a friend. My friend purchased a 2000 A6 4.2 sedan a few days after I purchased mine. His display is extremely bad but he really doesn't make as much as I do and didn't want to risk the $800 it would cost to replace this cluster if he had damaged or broken it.

I've also have much more experience with rebuilding electronic components and working on cars and mechanics in general than he has.