1998 Audi A6 ... should i buy or walk?

natecaminata

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'll get right to the point, and if all goes well, will probably become a regular member :)

So this is the deal. There is a guy that as selling his 1998 Audi A6 quattro non-turbo for $7900. I've been dealing on it, and have him down to $5000, mainly because of a couple of issues: I brought the car to a mechanic who said there is a small leak that is a valve cover issue. The air conditioning is also problematic. The car has 130,000 miles on it, but the owner just replaced the head gaskets, put on new brakes, new wheels, tie rods, CV boots, spark plugs and wires. A new timing belt was installed at 90k.

For $5,000 ... is this car worth my time? The mechanic also said that this model car has had a lot of problems. Then again, he only sees cars with problems, so I'm torn -- because it's a BEAUTIFUL car, and during the test-drive, ran wonderfully.

Please advise!
PS - In addition, the Edmunds' user reviews were painful to read. Hardly anything good. That's why I'm here ... I figure if anyone knows, you guys do!