2.5 tdi 1998 EGR ? ?

cubleymatt

Reaction score
Hello !!

im a newbie here so please be gental !!

I have been reading the forum trying to work out how to get back the performance that im sure my car used to have ! !

some times its ok but other times i could run faster than the car and thats saying somthing as im a big bloke ! other times it seems to have a real dead spot in the rev range.

Reading this fine forum im going to replace the MAF this week but there seems to be diffrent types bosch and another one ? whats the best one to go for and the best supplier ?

Also i saw that someone was running with the EGR disconnected ? will this help ? it did on my discovery with a td5 fitted, if so where do i disconect ?

so if i get the MAF and anything else sorted is there anything else i can do the get the power back ? is a K&N filter worth fitting ?

thanks for the help in advance :icon_thumright:

Matt

There is an alternative MAF made by Piemburg i think. If you browse the internet you will find a multitude of suppliers who will provide a replacement at much less than Audi will. Make sure you know exactly what model your engine is before you buy, there are variations. If you disconnect your MAF and the engine runs just the same then it is likely to be broken. Beware however that as with other electrical problems the MAf can take time to fail completely and will give intermittent problems that may not coincide with you testing it. I would recommend that you replace it anyway if your car is high mileage, it won't be too expensive say £75 and it's worth knowing that you have eliminated it when looking for problems.
I would not recommend disconnecting the EGR, but a thorough clean will help. When you take it off look at the inlet manifold, if its well coated with soot and other unmentionable gunge then take it off and clean it too.
Other sources causing intermittent loss of power are temperature sensors and the N75 valve that controls the turbo boost pressure (usually associated with black smoke too). The symptoms of failure of either of these would give VAGCOM fault codes so i would post on the VAGCOM forum and see if anyone local will help you out with a check for the price of a couple beers.
I am not sure of your turbo spec but expect it has variable pitch so check that the actuator arm on the side of the turbo is moving freely. If is sticking then it will obviously cause problems. There are numerous posts about various turbo problems on the diesel forum so have a browse. Beware uninformed dealers - I was told by a VW garage i needed a new turbo for my 1.9tdi Passat but my local garage replaced the temp sensor for £15 and fixed the loss of power problem!
I think you would have trouble noticing the difference from a K&N filter from what i have read. A K&N filter improved my bikes' fuel economy and and an induction kit made a noticeable difference to my Passat, but a filter on its own on a 2.5tdi - not sure. Best solution for more power is a chip, go to a reputable house and they should be able to find any existing problem.

thats Great FJtwelve thanks for all the information, i will try and have a look at the EGR and the turbo at the weekend if the rain ever stops !!

Matt

I dont seem to have lost much in the terms of power, as far as I am aware, but I am however spewing out clouds of white smoke.

This hopefully is my EGR that needs a good old clean out and not my turbo that needs replacing. Unfortunately I dont have the time or the skills to be able to do this myself.

The V6 doesnt help as I think it means there is twice as much piping to cleanout!

Can anyone else confirm this?

Does anyone know how long this job can potentially take?

Go to
subscribed.gif
'00 2.5tdi clouds of white smoke!!! in the diesel forum - it would appear to be your crankcase breather filter

Just got my motor back - A new crankcase breather filter, a full service and a monkey later.

Theres no smoke!