A6 2.5 TDI '02 Manual - Gearboxes

fergusd

Reaction score
Are the 6 speed manual boxes on these cars generally reliable ?

My car has an increasing speed related drone and I can't find any wheel bearing that is obviously noisy . . . concerned it may be a final drive/diff bearing failure.

Gearbox function is as it always has been not the slickest on the planet but no change.

Does the motor have to come out to take the 'box out ?

Thanks

Fd

changing gearbox is not a 5 minute job on these. Are you sure the droning noise is mechanical based.

Could it be tyres?

Is the droning constant or just at certain speeds etc

Simon

Tyres ?

Eh . . . No . . .

The noise is road speed related and may (I hope) be starting to sound worse when cornering one way (I hope - because that's probably a wheel bearing).

Whether removing the 'box is a 5 minute or 5 day job is not really relevant, if it's fscked it'll need to come out and there's no way it's going into a dealers where some untrained, uninterested yob will do a bad job and charge me a fortune for the pleasure . . . ain't ever going to happen ;-)

Fd

Thanks for that, I'm planning on taking this one to 250K like my old '100 . . . we'll find out tomorrow morning when it all comes to bits . . . I've optomistically bought a wheel bearing kit . . . I hope I need it ;-)

Fd

I had the box changed on my 1.9Tdi i know it's not the same but the job is easier than most transverse mounted engines like fords vauxhalls etc so the job it'self is not too complicated and plenty of space to work with.

Just a quick follow up, despite there being absolutely no symptoms with the weight of the car off the wheels the offside front wheel bearing was well gone . . .
the bearing fell to bits once removed from the car and I started trying to press the hub out . . .

While I'm at it . . . manual transmission oil . . . I assume like most modern cars the gearbox oil is sealed for life, but an ex VAG guy I know mentioned a spec change to the box oil - presume folk just buy from Audi . . . if not - what are people using if they change ?

Cheers

Fd

Fd,
I would definately check with the dealer on what spec they suggest, especially if you suspect an update to what the manual states. I always find the parts guys are the most knowledgeable and willing to help in my local dealership.

Cheers,
John

As for oil i know in the states it seems more pertinent to change gearbox oil even the for life stuff. though i know thats not the thinking here. some owners are replacing at up to every 6000miles for gearbox and 3000 for engine.

A bt overkill i know.

Max