2.5 TDI Starting Problem

PeteS

Reaction score
Hi
I have just brought a secondhand Audi 2.5 TDI. I have had a problem with the car starting. The dealer has changed the all six glow plugs but the car still takes around 6 to 7 seconds to start.

The car also only does 30mpg when driven gently on a long run. Do you have any ideas what we need to look at next.

Regards
PeteS

the first thing has got to be to find someone local with vagcon to check for any errors logged.

what year is the car?

Simon

Hi

Its a Dec 2002 Model. I assume that the dealer has used the Audi version of Vag Com

PeteS said:
Hi

Its a Dec 2002 Model. I assume that the dealer has used the Audi version of Vag Com

First big mistake......

Never assume anything from an Audi Dealer.

Sorry, don't know what the problem could be but best of luck getting it sorted.

When it does start, does it drive normal, is the power there as you would expect.

Has the dealer changed anything, temperature sensor, maf etc

Is the 30mpg based on the DIS display or on your own calculations

Simon

Once started the car seems to drive ok there is no tendency to stall and no power loss through the rev range.

The dealer has told me they have changed the Temperature Sensor and all six Glow Plugs.

I have been using the DIS for mpg but today I have filled up the tank and reset the trip meter so I should be able to do a comparison with the two figures. I see from other posts that the DIS may not be very accurate.

Regards

Pete

Not sure on the 2.5 V6 TDI but if the pump timing is out that can cause it not to start to good.

I had a similar problem on my 2.5 5cyl TDI pump timing out just. I changed the plugs,temp sensor checked all the plugs getting correct voltage to the plugs.

Not much help but i would get it checked.

Look at the flexible fuel pipes that feed the injectors. If they are damp then its because the pipes are porous and letting the air in. Hence poor starting.

Mine has the same problem, although mine is the 2.8 V6 petrol. Mine has done it ever since I sent the injectors away to be cleaned. In the MOT a couple of weeks ago they did say that there is a loose fuel hose, but it wasn't enough to be a failure. It runs perfectly fine when started too and there's no major fault codes on the VAGCOM.

When I get a chance I'm going to unplug the ECU and let it reset itself, might just be not used to the conditions after a major overhaul, either that or I've knocked a sensor.

Well let you know if I find anything.

Hello Peter.

Did you have any luck with this as the same is happening to mine.

AUDI have changed GP's and coolant temp sensor. Also EGR Valve gasket was leaking. Seemed to sort it for a couple of days but back to its old embarassing "cloud of smoke" ways! They had it straight back but cant find a thing now.

If anyone else could shed some light on this i'd be grateful.....

Thanks

Hello !

i have had the same problem with mine not starting well, Audi Dealers said it was first the Pump in the tank that needed changing, that turned out to be wrong, (big suprise) but i managed to sort it myself, as said before here the leak off pipes on the injectors were letting air into the system and into the pump so the motor had to turn over and get the air out before it would start, but finding replacment pipes was a real pain in the well you can guess, and mine are still not right, there sealed but not the right type of pipe, if anyone here knows were i can get some that would be a great help ! ! Audi in derby said that they coudl not get any for me !

thanks

Matt