Problem with glow plugs

superpye

Reaction score
Hi

My Glow plug light comes on & goes out after a few seconds, takes longer when really cold so seems to be working. But no power gets to glow plugs. If I connect glow plug directly to battery it glows, If I turn on ignition it receives no power (proven by unscrewing glow plug & earthing against engine block).

where do I look - relay, fuse etc.

First get your self an AVO meter if you are going to start fault finding electrical faults.
Second what car do you have, it may help to identify the location of the glow plug fuse, the car will have one. On my 2004 A4 they are behind the dash, you are looking at 50a+

Audi A6 2.5 Tdi 1997. I have tried an AVO meter and none of the glow plugs are receiving any power to them, i have tried using the manual to locate a relay or master fuse, but am unable to find any of these, therefore unable to go any further.

I don't think its in the manual, have a look around the battery positive terminal, if you find a fuse then check it, if not there then remove the lower part of the driver's side dash and check behind there.