Where On Earth?

claytow

Reaction score
Website
www.blukuk.com
Hi guys,

bought some aftermarket LED rear lights for my 2000 Audi S6 about 6 months ago.. recently I started getting a bulb warning light come up on the dash when I applied the brakes. Started off as intermittent but now more or less all the time.
What I have discovered is that with the engine running when I apply the brakes one of the brake lights comes on and then goes off, causing the alarm.
One side is perfectly fin however and stays on.
Upon further investigation this is the outcome
No Ignition Engine off / all fine
Ignitiion on, engine off / all fine
Engine running / light fails intermittantly
sidelights or headlights on / all fine

Someone has suggest that due to the less power required by LED's that this boils down to an earthing problem. am I right in thinking that as its when the engine is running it could be engine earth?
If so can someone tell me where I might find the engine earth, or indeed any of the earths so I can check that they are all ok.
As a side thing the same side (N/S) passsengers lights failed around the same time, so when I open the soor the lights no longer come on, nor do the interior lights with the door opening.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, any help or thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
W.

claytow said:
Someone has suggest that due to the less power required by LED's that this boils down to an earthing problem

because they draw less power it makes the system think a bulb is blown....

do you have any pictures of these lights mate?

I do, but you can see them on ebay if you do a search for Audi S6, they come from Germany, and its only the stop and tail that are LED the indicator and reverse are still bulb. They are cool and very bright compared to standard bulbs. btw if i put the standards back no problems at all. I have had the lights imdependently checked off the car and they both work fine. Let me know if you cant find them and ill upload a picture.. not on a good connection at the mo so would take ages

W.

ive seen the pics on ebay mate... just shows them close up and not lit up!

id like to see what they look like on the car as a whole... and also lit up :)

your problem sounds very confusing to me... specially as standard lights are fine and so are the LED ones off the car :(

Ok mate will get some pics uploaded for you.
Any other thoughts welcome... I think my first thing is to check all the earths if anyone can enlighten me.

As AJO said the led's use less power so the DIS doesn't detect enough current going to the bulbs and thinks a bulb has blown. Have seen in other threads people suggest wiring a resistor into the circuit to bring the total resistance to be the same as the resistance of the old bulbs then the DIS system should work fine.
Don't know about the intermittent failure though