1998 A6 2.4SE Rear pads

mjhamilton

Broooom Brooom Brooom!!
Reaction score
Question.. my brake warning light has just come on at 35k miles... I replaced my front pads at 25k so i assuming this is the rears now (I can see they are down low thru the wheels)...

.. to the point... do the rear calipers have wear sensors on them??

yes they do dude ...
looks like you are due for a change

cool.. just wanted tio check... only the Germans would stick electical sensors on the backend... most companies scrimp and just make 'em squeal when low.... anyone know if you can swap without the need for the tool used to 'screw' the pistons back in??

A Cheap G cramp usually works fine.

About 7 quid form a diy shop or cheaper if you can get them from a market or so.

Max

aaawwwwwww crap.. just been doin a little research... apparantly the rear calipers require a tool that pushes the piston back in whilst twisting it at the same time..... may have to bite the bullet and get some mechy to do it for me... cheapest tool I found was about £30... for a job i am going to do once not really worth it!!!!

I am pretty sure if I use a standard g-clamp it will sieze the caliper..... anyone done this the handfisted way??

Sounds just like the back brakes on a 1971 Rover 2000 ( bet not too many people on here have delt with one of those!) The pistons have to be screwed in rather than being pushed. Pushing them simply won`t work. On the Rover there is also a special tool but they can just about be wound back by hand, albeit with bruised finger tips. Don`t know about on the Audi though, different era of technology.

I changed the rear pads on my old 2.8q .

They definately need a toll to screw they back in. I went through the usuall process of trying a g clamp etc until I found out that the tool was needed.

In the end I managed with a pair of straight long nose pliers, although it was hard work.

Cheers

Simon

hmmmmmmmm.. just ordered a set o replacement pads from EBC online and they arrived today... they appear not to have any wires for the DIS connection??... been to a few sites and the part number is the same in all cases...

.. is there something I am missing here??.. are the sensors in the pads on the back or are they between the calipers and the rotors somehow???...

Guess I need to crack off a wheel and take a look but wanted to see if anyone had a clue??

I would have expected that the sensor should have been in the pad. Looks like the only way to find out is to take them off and see

Good luck

Cheers

Simon

Had all the wheels off over the weekend changing the brake fluid and while i could see the cables and connectors for the wear sensors on the front wheels I couldn't see anything on the rears that would indicate that they are hooked upto the DIS

well I'll be.. you are correct.. there is nothing but pads on the rear.. this must mean my fronts are low also... ******...

I did upto 22000 on the first set of fronts and am now on 35000 miles.. this means I only got 13000 on the current set.. and I paid the silly £75 for a set of genuine VW/Audi pads... guess these were not up to much then..

Going to order a set of EBC's and replace the fronts also.... loads cheaper and have a good write up...

where are you getting yours from?
im due to change my rear disksans pads and front pads as well but im loathe to spend the huge sums at audi again ive spent about £1500 on the car in the last monthor so.....:faint:

wow,
Have you used them before ?
Is it a direct swap?
Thanks

I have used greens on my old MR2's and they were the dogs knackers... bit pi55ed about the fact that I only got 13000 out of the last set of VW pads and they cost me £75... so I am going to try these on my A6..

The fronts are £45 and the rears are £21 and that includes delivery... cheaper than a set of VW fronts...

The standard are to Reg90 so they meet OEM requirements so I am pretty sure these are going to be ok...

Note - if you go to greens then it is recommended that you do all four wheels otherwise you will end up with uneven brake force between front and rear of the car,..

Thanks for that i will order them next week and let you know how it goes

Regarding the tool you should get away with using a pair of pliers to screw the caliper back in, worked for me 2 months ago when I did the rear pads on my '96 B5 A4 avant.

Another option for the tool would be to get a mate to weld a pair of nails to the outside edge of an old socket. Worked well for me...

Guys
the stuff has arrived this morning.
Got rear disks and Pads and front pads as well.
yeah and i went for the green Stuff all round as well will get them fitted maybe on thursday so well see,
I ll keep you all posted.

Brakes fitted Cost about £70 +vat from local garage.
No problems with the parts fitted ok
The green Bits the pads look cool as well

had the ebc pads all round for a few weeks now and am very impressed.. they work well from cold and don't fade like the standard vw ones... also the dust is less dirty on the wheels making then easier to keep clean..

Would very much recommend ebd pads (standard) as a replacement for the standard vw ones..

Yep i have to second that my greens are doing just fine
And much less brake dust