hot start problem a6 2.8 30 valve

yendall24

Reaction score
hi can any body help me with a hot start problem when the engine is cold it starts first time but once it as warmed up it takes about ten seconds before it will start it as a full servce history and runs like a dream once started .plugs are good air filters newish it looks like fuel vapourisation is this fixable and if so how any feed back would be helpful

would check all the hoses that go on to the inlet manifold to ensure they are tight( check for leaks)..Lambda probe can cause this sometimes to .Like you say it is a fuel vapourisation problem and it is taking longer for the mixture to ignite so i would look at controls that are affected by heat (contraction of metal and rubber)...sensors like the MAF give it a clean with carb cleaner wont do any harm .have you run VAG.com to see if it is giving out any codes?

try starting it with the fuel cap loose, see if that makes a difference.

i had the same problem with mine, which was a fuel tank vent problem.

When I bought my 1998 2.8 A6, i was told by the previous owner that he had that problem. Apparently, the garage advised him that it could be a temperature sensor on the back of the engine which is a common fault but requires a fair bit of effort to repair (i.e. an engine out job). However, I haven't had a single problem since I bought it so I wouldn't take that advice as gospel. I'd recommend just checking all connections in the engine bay, particularly the sensors on the air intake, exhaust and throttle.