strange whirring noise coming from drivers side front wheel

bigblokey0

Reaction score
i got a strange noise coming from the drivers side front wheel as if something is catching at first i thought it might be the mudflap but on closer inspection theres nothing in the way that i can see the noise is intermittent and only does it in a straight line and it also does it with the car in neutral and its gliding

the brake pads are new, i checked the cv joints they look ok could be wheel bearing i spose ill check that

Not sure about the A6 but some cars have a plastic or thin metal shield round the brakes and I have known these to be damaged and bent slightly in the past. During cornering the movement in the suspension components stopped it catching but in a straight line it was rubbing and causing a noise.

Like I say I'm not sure if the A6 has something like that but may be worth a look in case it is bent or damaged at all.

everything looks ok however ive only had the noise since it went thru its mot so maybe the mot guy wiggled something loose i dunno it sailed thru the mot as well

If its something rubbing you should be able to see where as it will be clean I guess. Sounds to me it may just be ever so slightly bent, maybe done when the car was being checked over.

another reason i said it might be something rubbing is because there looks like there tiny marks on the inner tyre tread

Nothing should be rubbing anywhere near the tyre in a straight line. Its bad enough if something is catching a brake disc or a wheel but I'd be pretty concerned if I suspected something rubbing on the rubber..!!

i am concerned but its not happening all the time i mean since i started this thread its not happened once (touch wood)

a stone trapped between the brake disk and the backing shield?

Caliper (are they floating) sticking, so one pad rubs on the disk?