S6 Noisy engine on start up

crispin

Reaction score
Hi, I wondering if anybody had any advice on whether or not I had a problem. I have a 2001 S6 Avant and on starting in the mornings the top end of the engine rattles for a couple of seconds and then it is fine. I thought it was only doing it in cold weather but it still seems to be doing it now the weather is warmer. It only happens when the car is left all night so all the oil has drained back into the sump. I read that this is common on the 1.8Ts but is this a problem on the 4.2 V8 as well? Thanks

Hi my s6 is quiet on start up but my previous passat v6 4 motion was noisy on start up for the 4 years I had it. The passat engine is more or less 3/4 the s6 engine. The colder the weather the longer the noise but never more than 3 or 4 seconds it never seemed to affect it or get worse.

I think that you will find that all audi's are noisy from cold due to self adjusting over head cam system's initial lack of oil and usualy shuts up after a few seconds.

i had this when i got the services done with fully synthetic Mobil1 oil?? i changed to a semi-synthetic oil (currently Shell oil) and it stopped doing it completely. modern oils are too thin for older designed engines i think.

Thanks for feedback. I use the castrol longlife oil that Audi recomend. The only weird thing is the car didn't always do this, maybe its just age?

Not to worry, as long as it goes when the engine has warmed up, the hydraulic lifters are sometimes a problem, what i normally do is when on a service, use diesel oil 15/40 exactly the same as petrol oil just the added detergents which will clean the engine (about 1000 miles), Drain and refill with a good brand of Semi-Syn (not fully)