1.8 T - Turbo troubles - SMOKE!

Morris

Reaction score
I would be eternally grateful if someone can help me out here!

Newbie here. Glad to be a part of what seems the best of Audi forums.

I have a 1998 A6 1.8 T with 80000 miles on the clock. The car has started to blow smoke from the exhaust and alot of it at that. It is white smoke with a bluey tinge (very slight). I am aware that it is probably the turbo but have been advised that it could just be a blocked oil feed pipe or simply in need of a new MAF as the engine runs slightly rough when it is cold although this correct after a little while driving.

The smoke from the exhaust only kicks out at about 2750 revs which obviously point to the turbo. It does not kick out at any other time.

What would any one that knows more than the very little I know suggest?

Really need some help on this one.

Thanks in advance

I've got a 1999 1.8T and when the MAF went it ran like sh*t but it didn't blow any extra smoke. If the block is getting pressurised for any reason then you may get oil being blown back up the breather pipe and and getting sucked into the engine. This would get burned in the engine and give you a blue smoke. However white smoke like this usually points to turbo wear, this leads to oil being mixed in with the hot exhaust gases and getting partially burned and giving off all the white smoke.
Unfortunately I'd say it could be the turbo.
The only other thing to check is that its not your head gasket and the smoke is just steam. Check the underside of the oil filler cap and see if there is any white gunge under it which would suggest the head gasket is gone and would also show up with a drop in coolant levels