Grinding noise

PlebbyChris

Complete Pleb
Reaction score
Got a little issue, was wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me what's happening. Whenever I steer, there is a noticable grinding noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay and it sounds like the engine struggles.

I'm thinking it could be something with the steering rack that isn't running too smoothly and so it's drawing more from the power steering pump to move it which is then upping the revs on the engine.

Sound plausible?

I know the suspension arms are suffering a bit so I've got some new ones of them to be replaced in the summer (when I don't have to freeze my nuts off installing them) so I don't know if they are contributing to the noise. The shocks have been replaced about a month ago so they aren't the problem.

Any ideas?

:sos:

Sounds like the rubber damping on the front engine pulley is giving up. Had a similar problem, eventually lost all power steering and everything else associated with the same drive belt as the main pulley just fell away from the engine. Sometimes is related to a leajking from cranksghaft seal as the oil rots the rubber in the pulley. Good luck

Ah, that's not sounding too good but it would seem to fit the noise.

I'm guessing it is likely to be expensive? But the last thing I need is for the belt to fail while doing 90 down the motorway. I can't say it's a job I've ever done, how difficult do you think it would be for me to do personally?

If it's a big job I think I might consider an engine overhaul/swap. Choices, choices.

Right, I have just replaced the crankshaft pulley and vibration damper and unfortunately it hasn't got rid of the grinding. However, the money wasn't completely wasted as it does feel a lot smoother now.

I'm wondering if it is a fault with the power steering pump/pulley as the grinding only really significantly comes on when steering. Has anyone else had any troubles at all?

There also seems to be a slight oil leak down that side of the engine so I think I might just try replacing the cylinder head cover gaskets. Think it might be that oil dripping onto power steering unit and corroding the rubber in it.

If it was the pump you should here noise all the time as the pump is constantly pumping, although with no load on it. Hydraulic pumps usually give problems where the seals pack up and the the pump starts losing pressure. This normally doesn't cause a grinding noise
Have you checked all the steerring linkages for play. If they are loose or incorrectly adjusted it may be putting extra load on the system. The other thing to check is the power steering rack

have you had the Brake pads changed recently ? I had a friend who had this done at his local garage, they fitted wrong pads and created exactly what your saying ???

J

The noise is there most of the time, but it becomes more noticable when steering, especially dry steering when the load on the pump becomes greatest. At first I thought it was tie-rod ends, but I have replaced them at the same time as replacing suspension arms. I might have to try and get it diagnosed by a garage.

I've had the front wheel assemblies removed a couple of times over the last few months for various tasks but I can't say I have noticed anything out of place, it all seems ok. I think brake upgrade would be a good idea sometime soon though so will have to see.

My 2002 A6 Avant 1.9Tdi has just developed the same type of problem. When parking and turning the steering from lock to lock there seems to be a creeking/grinding noise. At first i thought it was the tyres but when i opened up the bonnet and got my wife to turn the steering wheel i noticed it was definately not the tyres and the noise coming from the front part of the engine bay just behind the radiator near to where the pulleys, belts and steering pump are all located. Seems to only make this noise when the steering is under load when stationary/parking.
Will be interesting to see what it might be and the dreaded trip to the stealers (Audi dealer)

:sadlike:

My money is on the power steering pump. Doesn't look too difficult to replace but have a feeling it's going to cost a couple of hundred pounds at least.

Will keep all updated

The garage have said it is the alternator pulley and belts. Basically when the steering is loaded from lock to lock the belts & pulley are making the noise - apparently.

Total cost all in was just short of £400.00

With me buying the parts from Audi and getting a reputable local garage to do this costs £287 inclusive of labour.

Car is now booked in for this Friday.

Belts X 2 @ £12.00 ish each
pulley X1 @ approx £67.00
and another part which i cannot remember what it's called which is the one that stings costs approx £130
labour 1.5 hours = £65

Total £287.00 inclusive :sadlike:

I've been thinking about it and I'm not so certain. It could be that the noises on our cars are caused by different problems but (correct me if i'm wrong) the only common thing between the alternator and steering is the drive belt, and mine was changed very recently and I took it off 2 weeks ago to replace the crankshaft pulley and it was in perfect nick. I notice that you have listed 2 belts to be replaced. I'm not sure about the layout of the diesel engines but mine only uses 1 drive belt to power all ancilliaries.

To me, the noise on mine sounds like it is coming from the centre as you look down on the engine (which is why I replaced the crankshaft pulley - bottom centre pulley- as it is the pulley with most load), but the alternator is at the bottom to the left. It certainly will be interesting to see how yours sounds once they've completed their work, I hope it provides a solution.

Maybe I should get an opinion from the main stealer too

Well the Bad News is that there are no Good News!

The Bad news is that now having had the pulley and belts changed, the noise still remained. After further inspection, Audi Camberley have told me that a casing/bracket to the belt had cracked causing the noise as there was not enough tension in the belts themselves (does anybody know what they are talking about as I have no idea...invoice states replacement part). But anyway, this has been changed and the final price for the job has jumped from just under £300 to £569.76

I AM STILL IN SHOCK! WTF....Pls excuse my language!

Stealers for you...

Anyway....its fixed now and we can head off on our holiday to France with the car.

The b*stards.

Hmmm, cracked casing/bracket? I wonder what they're actually referring to. Did they give you an Audi part number at all? I'll see if I can find out what part it is. I'm still not so sure about mine though, don't think the belt is slipping at all.

Hmmm, the joys of confusion.

I think I have semi-overcome my problem. My throttle cable wasn't tight enough so it wasn't idling properly and turning the steering caused the engine to struggle and make a noise.

However. I am calling on the help of anyone with the ACK 2.8 V6 engine (or similar) to have a look at their drive belt. Can anyone tell me if their tensioning pulley (just below the top-central power steering pulley) angles out slightly. Looking at mine it seems that it isn't in line with the other pulleys and so I'm wondering if this is causing one side of the belt to be tighter than the other side.

Any help would be reeeeeeeeeally great

PlebbyChris said:
I think I have semi-overcome my problem. My throttle cable wasn't tight enough so it wasn't idling properly and turning the steering caused the engine to struggle and make a noise.

However. I am calling on the help of anyone with the ACK 2.8 V6 engine (or similar) to have a look at their drive belt. Can anyone tell me if their tensioning pulley (just below the top-central power steering pulley) angles out slightly. Looking at mine it seems that it isn't in line with the other pulleys and so I'm wondering if this is causing one side of the belt to be tighter than the other side.

Any help would be reeeeeeeeeally great
I'm basing this on my 2.6, but the layout is basically the same. I would think that the tensioning wheel would be the last thing that should be "angling out". Maybe this was the cracked "casing" that has already been mentioned. Actually it's a spring loaded bracket. Great for stopping us dimwits overtensioning belts but prone to wearing and cracking round the 2 holes in it. I'd be looking at that part VERY closely oh and the bolt that holds the spring (and bracket) - if anyone with gorilla enthusiasm has pushed it too far I suspect it could be bent.

Tony.

Well that was my thinking to. But then I thought it might be designed to be angled for some strange German reason. I think I might order a new one. Nothing like peace of mind. Cheers

Just as a follow-up. It was the power steering pump. Got a local Audi garage to do it. Wasn't cheap but has cleared it up almost completely. Was also told that the noise will continue slightly until the air is forced out of the power steering automatically (which is done by dry-steering full lock left to full lock right).

Cost me about £400 in total to get the power steering pump, labour and power steering fluid (plus free courtesy car and free nitrogen tyre fill), so wasn't too bad. Just glad to get rid of that ****** noise.

Got a nice brand new A4 Avant as a courtesy car too, was very impressed, almost tempted to forget the repairs for the car and keep the courtesy car.

If anyone lives near Crawley or Gatwick, I strongly recommend the Maidenbower Audi Garage just off the M23 - excellent service