EM TuningVolks Autos
    Broooom Brooom Brooom!!

Status

Talking Window Tinting DIY

My A6 (C5) has the nice doubleglazing fitted... it is the same process to remove the side windows as with normal glass or is there someting that I should know about??... want to add some mild tint to the windows... just enough not to look like a drug dealer of course...

Any thoughts?
    1997/8 A6SE 2.4 30V Dark Green Metalic, had for 5 years now... old lady has only 30k miles..

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    No No NO NO NO! unless u class urself as an experienced window tinter don't touch it! believe me i've done about 4 cars with varying levels of success and it aint easy tintin them!
    Leave it to the pro's mine cost £140 for the lot to be done and they didn't remove any of the windows - no need for a professional!

Sorry to sound harsh but just the voice of experience n tryin to save u wastin up to £50 on tint to just mess it up. Get it done professionally it's the best way.

Counting the Tesco Club points

Status
    Agree and double agree
    for the cost just get it done by a pro.

My m8 owns pentagon and he showed me how to tint...they make it look very easy..no way will I do it

Be careful where you go and see the quailty of the film, some scratch real easy
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    I have to agree with Marmite et al.
    This is not something you want to dabble with unless you know what you`re doing.
    Take it to a professional.
    Audi A6 2.4 Quattro SE Cashmere Grey
    Audi Allroad 2.5 tdi (180) Quattro Limited Edition Metalic Silver

Broooom Brooom Brooom!!

Status
    fair enough... I have done this before with complete success using top grade film... however one price above is £140??... so far I am getting quotes for £400-£500+ that is why I was considering doing it myself.... these guys wont do it with the windows in.. they say they gotta come out for a proper finish
    1997/8 A6SE 2.4 30V Dark Green Metalic, had for 5 years now... old lady has only 30k miles..

thinking about stuff

Status
    i've done it myself in the past. Takes practice, rear windows are very difficult to do. Let a pro do my S3, cost £220.

2001 Black RS4 - P11 LCC
    1992 Burgundy Pearl Corrado VR6 - A20 LEE

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhamilton
    fair enough... I have done this before with complete success using top grade film... however one price above is 140??... so far I am getting quotes for 400-500+ that is why I was considering doing it myself.... these guys wont do it with the windows in.. they say they gotta come out for a proper finish
    400!! thats mental! mine did cost 140 for the lot to be done, and you do not need the windows out for a professional finish! thats a load of crap! most leave them in for pure ease n cost! profesionals can do it with the windows in!
    I'd do it with the windows out cos it's easier 4 diy and not contaminating it with dust n stuff!
    But thats cos i don't have a dust free garage! which any professional tinter should have!
    Ring around and film quality is all good! just make sure they offer a warranty as any tinter only wants to use the best film to get the best effect n finish.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just my two cents here,

I used to do window tinting as a job (mobile audio installs as well), and one important thing to do is use a very mild soap/shampoo (I always use Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo) solution (1 part shampoo to 10 parts water). This will aid in moving the film in place and actually helps the adhesive once it starts to dry. Also do not roll your windows down for at least 4-5 days.