Window Tinting DIY

mjhamilton

Broooom Brooom Brooom!!
Reaction score
My A6 (C5) has the nice doubleglazing fitted... it is the same process to remove the side windows as with normal glass or is there someting that I should know about??... want to add some mild tint to the windows... just enough not to look like a drug dealer of course...

Any thoughts?

No No NO NO NO! unless u class urself as an experienced window tinter don't touch it! believe me i've done about 4 cars with varying levels of success and it aint easy tintin them!
Leave it to the pro's mine cost £140 for the lot to be done and they didn't remove any of the windows - no need for a professional!

Sorry to sound harsh but just the voice of experience n tryin to save u wastin up to £50 on tint to just mess it up. Get it done professionally it's the best way.

Agree and double agree
for the cost just get it done by a pro.

My m8 owns pentagon and he showed me how to tint...they make it look very easy..no way will I do it

Be careful where you go and see the quailty of the film, some scratch real easy

I have to agree with Marmite et al.
This is not something you want to dabble with unless you know what you`re doing.
Take it to a professional.

fair enough... I have done this before with complete success using top grade film... however one price above is £140??... so far I am getting quotes for £400-£500+ that is why I was considering doing it myself.... these guys wont do it with the windows in.. they say they gotta come out for a proper finish

i've done it myself in the past. Takes practice, rear windows are very difficult to do. Let a pro do my S3, cost £220.

mjhamilton said:
fair enough... I have done this before with complete success using top grade film... however one price above is £140??... so far I am getting quotes for £400-£500+ that is why I was considering doing it myself.... these guys wont do it with the windows in.. they say they gotta come out for a proper finish

£400!! thats mental! mine did cost £140 for the lot to be done, and you do not need the windows out for a professional finish! thats a load of crap! most leave them in for pure ease n cost! profesionals can do it with the windows in!
I'd do it with the windows out cos it's easier 4 diy and not contaminating it with dust n stuff!
But thats cos i don't have a dust free garage! which any professional tinter should have!
Ring around and film quality is all good! just make sure they offer a warranty as any tinter only wants to use the best film to get the best effect n finish.

Just my two cents here,

I used to do window tinting as a job (mobile audio installs as well), and one important thing to do is use a very mild soap/shampoo (I always use Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo) solution (1 part shampoo to 10 parts water). This will aid in moving the film in place and actually helps the adhesive once it starts to dry. Also do not roll your windows down for at least 4-5 days.