loud clunk when i brake any ideas????

bigblokey0

Reaction score
i get a loud clunk from the drivers side wheel area when i break ive had the wheel off and everything looks ok any ideas i get it when i brake at high and low speeds even when the car rolls i get it

Dont forget the A6 is notorious for eating track rods etc.

have them checked out as they could collapse. I remember having mine done on my last A6 , a month later I had a letter from Audi stating that they could collapse after high miles and to get them chcked. Bit late for me. I had them all done on both from wheels.

Simon

i thought that was the problem because one was broken so i replaced it however im still getting the noise

Ball joint,loose brake caliper,brake pads,Drive shaft,worn rubber bushes in the lower steering arm jobbies.

Had a similar problem and it turned out to be a knacked shocker!!

Your front bushes are probably worn by the sound of it. A kit is avialable which replaces 6 suspension links per side. I just got my '97 A6 2.4se sorted during the week there. The kit cost £250 from a local motor factor and fitting was £200. You can replace the links individually but you'll probably pick the wrong one like I did on my previous car, an A4 which has the same set up.

it turned out to be my brakes in the end the pads become loose in the callipers so clunk around