Clutch Slip

simonwjones

Reaction score
My clutch as started to slip, but only when I have been driving for a hour or two and nice and hot. It just starts as the turbo kicks in, (1.9tdi Avant).

when it has cooled down and I get back in its fine again.

It doesnt slip[ at all from cold only after a a couple of hours driving.

Do you reckon its time to get it replaced?

a quick scan on google shows a replacement available for about £120. Does this seem about the right price, or can anyone offer alternative suppliers.

I know its a gearbox off, but does anyone know what the expected number of hours is to do the job

cheers

Simon

ive just done mine for £90 trade price

and its one of the easy gearboxes to remove
goin at a nice slow speed took me 1hr 30mins
to remove box remove clutch inspect flywheel replace new clutch and gearbox

only hard bit is gettin it to slot back on and they are heavy boxes

but i would say get it done and check input shaft seal and crank seal

Simon

How many miles has car done?
Would be surprised if it was the clutch!

The last clutch I changed on a 100tdi as a precautionary measure whilst replacing gearbox had done over 200k miles and was still looking good.YOU MUST change gearbox primary shaft bearing in clutch back plate at the same time otherwise if worn gearbox can then leak oil onto new clutch.
As J4CK-DE says hardest part is lifting box back on which I did with the aid of straps and trolley jack's.

Also do a search on Bi-Mass flywheels as I know VAG have been suffering a lot of problems with replacements across the whole range of vehicles.

Good luck!

Jason

cheers all

here the part number for the clutch kit from gsfcarparts.com

R-623115700

The cars only done 101k.

The leaking oil seal seems to make sense as it only starts to slip after getting the engine Nice and Warm. I would have expected the clutch to slip all the time if it was worn clutch plates.

cheers

Simon

Just for reference, had a scout around and it's not a bi-mass flywheel problem as symptoms are a loud clacking noise and vibration at tick over.

we know its not the fly wheel but coman fault if it has to much play beter replace it now then pay again for remove and refit of the box and clutch when it does go